• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

plants for beginners (me)

Digital

Members
I want to redo my son's tank of corys and tetras with PFS and decided to try some plants. Two weeks ago. I went to an auction in Raleigh and people were paying over 20 bucks for rare plants. Can someone recommend a few species of hardy plants that are affordable and won't overtake the tank the first time I'm gone a week. This is for a 40g breeder that currently has tetras and corys.

Next time I can drive for work up to MD I will pick up some electric blue rams from Fank, which will be the center piece for this setup.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Felipe Castellanos

CCA Members
I would do some species of anubias (anubias nana recommended) or maybe Valisneria which is a very fast growing plant that grows extremely tall but can be cut!

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
I want to redo my son's tank of corys and tetras with PFS and decided to try some plants. Two weeks ago. I went to an auction in Raleigh and people were paying over 20 bucks for rare plants. Can someone recommend a few species of hardy plants that are affordable and won't overtake the tank the first time I'm gone a week. This is for a 40g breeder that currently has tetras and corys.

Next time I can drive for work up to MD I will pick up some electric blue rams from Fank, which will be the center piece for this setup.

Thanks in advance!

While the recommendations by Dan and Felipe are tried-and-true, and will certainly work, why don't you tell us more about this tank? What kind of light does it have? What's your maintenance regimen? Are you opposed to adding fertilizing to your maintenance schedule?

And, what sort of look are you going for?

I ask because you may have more options than you think.

Blaise

Digital

Members
@Blaise

I do weekly water changes. lights are DIY led strips. I'm not opposed of adding fertilizers as long as they are not really expensive.

Do the fertilizers cause problems with any fish species?

The look? I read that rams do better in tanks with plants. So, plants that they feel comfortable around would be my preference.

abcdefghi

Members
Do you know what the spectrum of the LED's you are using is? I had a previous LED hood that the light spectrum was terrible for plants, while they did not die, they also did not grow. The LED fixture I have now is 6500K and plants grow fine.

I don't add any ferts, but do use root tabs.

If you want some free plants, I can get you a bunch of Jungle Vals (tall grass like plant on the right) and some Four Leaf Star Plant (narrow leaf tall plant towards the middle) as well as some stem plants that I cannot remember the name of. You would just need to pay for shipping.

20170505_115241.jpg

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I could clip and send some Anubias to you if your are interested. PM me for details. I can also give you some tips on how to grow them.

Becca

Members
With a 40B a lot of folks will use 2 light strips so they get better coverage. You could probably grow something tall and leafy, like some of the sword plants. Crypts would also work well for you.

Digital

Members
20180212_193637.jpg 20180215_211923.jpg

Also forgot that I moved everything from the 40 to a 75 that I picked up off craiglist for a steal.

Last edited:

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Ok - I splurged and have the light coming tomorrow.
NICREW ClassicLED Aquarium Light, Fish Tank Light with Extendable Brackets, 48-Inch, 32 Watts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XYKD67V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_n8AMAbQ7TX485

I don't want to run co2. is the API liquid fertilizer enough for the ferns and anubius that were recommended above? The substrate us PFS.

I hope to start planting next week.

If your lighting is good and you keep it reasonably stocked, you likely won't even need ferts. I grow all mine without ferts. I use root tabs for rooted plants just to get them started, but I don't use anything once they get going. I don't fert my anubias either and they grow like mad.

Let me know how that light fixture turns out. Seems like a good price and highly rated but that always makes me a little skeptical....ya know to good to be true thing

Digital

Members
Let me know how that light fixture turns out. Seems like a good price and highly rated but that always makes me a little skeptical....ya know to good to be true thing

I got it on an Amazon lightning deal for $35. I couldn't pass it up. I can't make my own light for less than that.

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
I have a nicrew. It doesnt have any red leds and the cord is a tad short. Its not bad for the money.

LiluDallas

Chairpersons
Staff member
Do you know what the spectrum of the LED's you are using is? I had a previous LED hood that the light spectrum was terrible for plants, while they did not die, they also did not grow. The LED fixture I have now is 6500K and plants grow fine.

I don't add any ferts, but do use root tabs.

If you want some free plants, I can get you a bunch of Jungle Vals (tall grass like plant on the right) and some Four Leaf Star Plant (narrow leaf tall plant towards the middle) as well as some stem plantso rkthat I cannot remember the name of. You would just need to pay for shipping.

View attachment 18459
Do you still have plants available?