• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Can different Shell Dwellers be housed together?

Jelimafish

CCA Members
I currently have (2) Brevis (1) Male and (1) Female in a 20 Gallon Long Aquarium after realizing I had (3) Males and removed (2) once I realized that despite my hopes I received a disproportionate number of males. I just got the confirmation that my order for (4) Similis has shipped but my other aquarium is not fully cycled yet. Can these species be placed in the same aquarium or should I put up a divider until the other aquarium is fully cycled? I know Rock/Cave Dwellers can be mixed with Similis or Brevis but am unsure how Similis and Brevis would work or if there would be too many issues. I checked my LFS for a divider but it does not look like it would allow for any filtration on one side of the aquarium. I can build a temporary divider if need be or was considering grabbing a 5 gallon aquarium as I have enough cycled material to support that. As always any help or advice is appreciated!

CichlidDan

Members
I currently have (2) Brevis (1) Male and (1) Female in a 20 Gallon Long Aquarium after realizing I had (3) Males and removed (2) once I realized that despite my hopes I received a disproportionate number of males. I just got the confirmation that my order for (4) Similis has shipped but my other aquarium is not fully cycled yet. Can these species be placed in the same aquarium or should I put up a divider until the other aquarium is fully cycled? I know Rock/Cave Dwellers can be mixed with Similis or Brevis but am unsure how Similis and Brevis would work or if there would be too many issues. I checked my LFS for a divider but it does not look like it would allow for any filtration on one side of the aquarium. I can build a temporary divider if need be or was considering grabbing a 5 gallon aquarium as I have enough cycled material to support that. As always any help or advice is appreciated!

Not sure if they can go together but you can make a custom divider with egg crate and some kind of netting mesh to cover the holes since the fish are small enough.

Jelimafish

CCA Members
Not sure if they can go together but you can make a custom divider with egg crate and some kind of netting mesh to cover the holes since the fish are small enough.
Thanks! That is what I am looking at now, I did not plan this out too well but I guess that is how it goes sometimes. Honestly I would think the tank is big enough that they would be fine however I have no clue how large the Similis will be when they arrive, just an estimation and I would like to prevent any issues.

chriscoli

Administrator
They'll probably compete for shells/territory and generally harass each other. I'd bet that the brevis will kick the similis' little butts eventually. A divider might work.

Also, you can cycle the second tank instantaneously by transferring some of the first tank's filter material over to the second one.

Jelimafish

CCA Members
They'll probably compete for shells/territory and generally harass each other. I'd bet that the brevis will kick the similis' little butts eventually. A divider might work.

Also, you can cycle the second tank instantaneously by transferring some of the first tank's filter material over to the second one.
I was using Mickey Mouse Platys or (Daughters Suggestion) to cycle the first tank when I first ordered the Similis a month ago but they sold more then they had so the Similis never came. I then got (4) Brevis and was so excited that I didn't really notice that I had 3 Males to 1 Female so I removed the 2 Males just the other day. The Platys and Brevis get along fine although the Platys are getting removed tonight. Unfortunately this whole thing was a little rushed and the 1st tank was just barely cycled when I got the Brevis. After getting the Brevis I set up the second tank in hopes of finding some Similis. I was experimenting with different filtration about a week ago and stupidly placed a sponge filter that I had just washed in lovely PG County's finest chlorinated water as well as some additional sand which I didn't treat into the tank with the Brevis which must not have been good considering the huge Nitrite and Nitrate spike. I used some prime and moved the fish into Tank #2 however that is barely cycled but steady so I don't want to remove anything from it. I have been doing small water changes in the Original tank and while the Nitrite is almost gone and the Nitrate is extremely low I am not ready to trust putting fish inside (except maybe the Mickey Mouse Platys) but even then I would feel bad because I want them to have the best water quality possible. I did buy some Suction Cups, Report Cover Sides, as well as some #7 Plastic Canvas and plan on just making a divider for the next week or 2 until I am more comfortable with adding fish back into the original tank. I am kind of curious about the two species living together though so maybe if I get lucky and end up with some Fry I can try it out. I was thinking of maybe doing a 55 Gallon with a large Texas Holey Rock about a third of the way in then using smaller pieces for caves and adding some Julidochromis dickfeldi. I could place 3-5 shells on one side for the two Brevis and add 6-8 Similis on the other side with 32-36 shells and just see what happens. I have seen 1 video of an aquarium that mixed Brevis as well as Similis and a few other species but it was much larger then a 55 so I guess everything is a test, I just know I have spent too much time and money to risk anything going wrong now! :D Now I am just waiting for the Fish to leave Utah and make their way to Maryland! Thanks everyone for the help, it really is appreciated that you took the time to help me out!

Leffler817

CCA Members
Glad you found the forum. There is lots of great, smart people to help you along the way.

IME I could never keep Julidochromis with shellies. They just didn't get along. Perhaps it was the type of Julies with certain type(s) of shellies. I used a bigger tank than a 55 and it didn't work for me. Perhaps others will share success stories. If you're using your own fry and have a separate tank with breeders then its not such a huge risk.

Jelimafish

CCA Members
Glad you found the forum. There is lots of great, smart people to help you along the way.

IME I could never keep Julidochromis with shellies. They just didn't get along. Perhaps it was the type of Julies with certain type(s) of shellies. I used a bigger tank than a 55 and it didn't work for me. Perhaps others will share success stories. If you're using your own fry and have a separate tank with breeders then its not such a huge risk.
That's good to know for sure! Honestly for something that has been so hard for me to find I would be devastated if any fry died as a result of something I did but I 100& understand what you are saying. I honestly think it all depends on the individual fish as well as a number of other factors for sure but of the 2 male brevis I removed 1 was an absolute terror and killed 3 Zebra Danios in a day and also attacked the female so despite being the largest and most colorful he had to go. It helped that I saw 2 kind of pair off but they do not even really nip at the Platys and you are completely right that some people will have success and others will say it never worked for them so trial and error seems to be the key and when you can use your own fry you can mitigate some of the damage. I haven't had fish for almost 10 years and this is my first time keeping African Cichlids as I formerly had Oscars, various Plecos, and a few live bearers but seeing even my one year old react so positively to adding an aquarium has really roped me back in. This forum has been amazing and everyone has been extremely helpful. I think I am going to become a CCA member and have plans to attend the BFD. Thank you for your help and if you have any advice for keepibg or breeding Shellies please share!

Jelimafish

CCA Members
Thanks again everyone for all the help! The Similis have arrived and although they are smaller then I expected they are doing pretty well. You can see my lovely divider in the background but I have the lights super dimmed until they adjust a bit. They were added maybe 30 minutes ago.
hQEujC3
tgi7oNv
tgi7oNv.jpg
hQEujC3.jpg

chriscoli

Administrator
Looking good! I got some decent sized ones recently and they just had their first spawn about a week ago. It took mine a few months to settle in.

Jelimafish

CCA Members
Looking good! I got some decent sized ones recently and they just had their first spawn about a week ago. It took mine a few months to settle in.
That's awesome! I cannot wait for my second tank to cycle completely so I can remove the Brevis and the divider. Thank goodness I got the stuff to make that because the Male Brevis could swallow these guys whole. Now I think I may set up something like the Spec V on my office desk for the Similis but I also don't want to freak them out too much. Oh well I got them at least so now I can take my time and figure out what I want to do next.

Jelimafish

CCA Members
Very nice, keep us updated on their progress!
Thank you! I will and cannot wait to become a member which I probably should do tonight. So far the divider is working nicely although the Brevis do not seem very happy and I am unsure if it is the divider or the Platys being gone. Maybe I should add 1-2 back in although I liked the Danios better as dithers. The Shellies have all claimed shells but are so small that I need to sit and watch to actually see them. They are so small that I am worry about feeding and don't know if I should use frozen baby brine shrimp or hatch my own. I crushed some flake food but didn't really see them eat although they did hang around the shell opening a bit more so maybe they were waiting for something to float by. I need to find some vinegar eels, daphnia, or any small live food that will live in the water for a bit. I cannot wait for summer and the ton of free live foods that comes with it although a colony of something on hand is probably a good thing. I just want to put some size on them because at the moment it seems like they could live in a half gallon bowl if the water parameters were right. From what I have seen if all goes right in a few months there should be much more activity. I really wish I could have started with 6-10 but they only had 4 left. At 2am there were 30 and when I checked at 6am there were only 4 so I ordered as fast as possible. I guess I can always keep an eye out and try to order 4-6 more when they are available again. Sorry for the long posts I am just extremely excited and my mind is on overdrive at the moment.

Jelimafish

CCA Members
They have just been through a very traumatic experience and might not eat for a day or 2.
This is very true and they are so small that I Imagine they are still quite young. I am pretty impressed with the coloration on their dorsal fins and hope that they don't lose that although they will definitely color up with time and good food. I will say I am really impressed with Live Fish Direct. I cannot get these fish locally anywhere and was worried but not anymore - at least from them. Now I just really need to find a way to hook my wife so that she encourages me to get some more aquariums or at least a really nice one. :D Maybe the BFD will do the trick.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Talk to Frank Cowherd Frank Cowherd about live foods, I know he regularly has at least daphnia and vinegar eels available, he also provides instructions on how to maintain each colony.

Jelimafish

CCA Members
Talk to Frank Cowherd Frank Cowherd about live foods, I know he regularly has at least daphnia and vinegar eels available, he also provides instructions on how to maintain each colony.
Awesome! Thanks for the tip! It has been a little over 24 hours and they seem to be doing okay. Yesterday I barely saw them, today they seem to come out a little further from their shells although 1 has not claimed a shell - he just dug a hole under a shell for some reason. I crushed some flake food but was worried they didn't get any so I defrosted some frozen brine shrimp in tank water and used a turkey baster to drop them in/around the shells. I did see at least 2 eat and they all were close to their hiding places but much more attentive I guess would be a good word. I just hate the frozen baby brine shrimp because I do not have enough fish for 1 cube. I imagine that I could cut some frozen blood worms down a bit so they were small enough but I have to believe that live food will work the best, especially if it stays alive for a little while in the aquarium. *Side Note* I had to put the Platys back in with the Brevis because they turned super stressed and dark after removing them and still were until I put that Platys back in which seems kind of odd but it is not really a big deal. I am curious if some white clouds or another very small fish would help the Similis feel a bit more comfortable but I will wait a bit to see if that is something that becomes necessary. From what I have seen they seem to get more and more comfortable with time as well as when they start to breed and really colonize the entire aquarium but I have a while to go before that will happen. Thanks again for the tip and for everyone who has helped and let me rant about my fish since I think my wife might seriously murder me if I keep trying to talk to her about it.

stany

CCA Members
I agree with fisheggs. They have been re-housed and may need a day or more to adjust. Unless they are sick they will eventually eat and search for food. I've never had cichlids act like I expect the first couple of days. They are all individuals.Can't help you with the wife thing although mine liked making cichlid caves at the January meeting.

Jelimafish

CCA Members
I agree with fisheggs. They have been re-housed and may need a day or more to adjust. Unless they are sick they will eventually eat and search for food. I've never had cichlids act like I expect the first couple of days. They are all individuals.Can't help you with the wife thing although mine liked making cichlid caves at the January meeting.
She is slowly coming around after I sent her to the LFS to get a replacement glass lid she came home with all kinds of ideas on how to make the aquarium look better (I think it looks fine but whatever helps her take any interest will help me!!!). I have also seen her sitting with our 1 year old and just watching the fish so maybe that aspect will work out especially with how excited our 6 year old is. I will say the Similis are starting to come out of their shells more and this morning they were side by side in opposite directions shaking and "tail slapping" (not sure how else to describe that). I don't see any of the baby brine shrimp I put in on the bottom although there are a few on the sponge filter along with some crushed pellets/flakes. I just cut up some frozen blood worms and added them and when I came back they were gone so I am assuming that they ate them. I have been overthinking everything and really just need to sit back and let things play out. I did reach out to Frank as DiscusnAfricans said to and he responded with a ton of information on live foods so I should have some cultures soon which will help ease my anxiety a bit.

lQyy4Rk.jpg

LMsE1wE.jpg

NFntVnv.jpg

Chandler

CCA Members

Hi! I just moved to the DC area and this is my first post on the forum. I currently keep multis, have kept brevis in the past, and am now interested in starting a similis tank. Is there any way I could buy some of your similis fry from you when they become available? I didn't have any luck finding them at the Big Fish Deal this weekend; actually, I was told they're fairly hard to come by.