• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Electric blue hap can't open mouth

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
I am raising a group of electric blue haps babies. They are about 2.5 inches now, they are healthy and eating well. I just noticed today, one of them seems to have some sort of disorder. The fish looks pretty healthy, doesn't have any sign of issues on the fins or its body, it does not hide and it swims around and goes after the food but just bumps the food with its nose. It seems as if it wants to eat but just can't open its mouth. The only sign I noticed is its gills are opening a bit larger than other tank mates as it is breathing. I'll try to take a picture.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation?

Thanks

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
If he has been eating before, there's absolutely no reason to cull him without trying to treat him first. That's just stupid. If you have the time and space, which you should if you're breeding fish, then go ahead and separate him. Just make sure you try to figure out exactly whats wrong before you "medicate" as you probably do more harm than good. How long has this been going on? obviously its not a birth defect if hes one of the nicer and bigger of the fry. Keep on top of your water changes and conditions if they are in a overstocked tank. My fry/grow out tanks get cruddy FAST and need water changes usually before the standard weekly or 7 day mark. Obviously if this guy starts to suffer/starve then it might be time to cull or feed him to something larger. Keep us posted

Last edited:

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
I'm no vet and no expert but from what you described it does NOT sound like Columnaris. I would get him separated so you can get a better ideas as to what is going on with him. Best case scenario its just a minor fight or he bumped something really hard. The gill comment is a little concerning though :confused:

Last edited:

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you Brett, it makes sense. I don't have a hospital tank but Petco's $1 per gallon sale is on, I'll get on that first thing in the morning.

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
Thank you Brett, it makes sense. I don't have a hospital tank but Petco's $1 per gallon sale is on, I'll get on that first thing in the morning.
You can also get the marineland breeder box for a temporary isolating situation. obviously these aren't good for medicating and or if you think the fish has anything that could potentially harm the other inhabitants of the tank. Check this out https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005QRDCP...t=&hvlocphy=9008136&hvtargid=pla-306918540865

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
I do have a couple of these but I get a little paranoid when it comes to medications and treatments. Thanks though :)

zendog

I know they're small and it is unlikely, but is there any chance the fish is holding eggs? When i had mouth brooders that is how they would act when holding.

Being the largest, I'd guess it is a male, so another reason to doubt the theory, but thought I'd mention it.

Becca

Members
:( this guy is one of the largest and healthiest-looking in the group. I was thinking separating and treating it with non-iodized salt.
Ah - so you think this is illness and not deformity? See if you can figure out what's wrong and isolate him. My perspective comes from working at a commercial hatchery and was a little insensitive.

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
Ah - so you think this is illness and not deformity? See if you can figure out what's wrong and isolate him.

No worries :) .. I'll be setting up a new hospital tank today. Do you have a website for your hatchery? I am interested in some shell dwellers if that's also what you breed.

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
I know they're small and it is unlikely, but is there any chance the fish is holding eggs?

Walt, that's exactly what I thought at first but then I reminded myself they're still a couple of months old so there's no way he is holding :D he is coloring up so yea, he does look like a boy.

I am isolating the little guy today, but I'm still not sure what it is and how to start the treatment. My safest to go is to start with salt medication. I was also wondering if it's a good idea to do some visual inspection by trying to gently open his mouth, just like when you strip a holding female.

Becca

Members
No worries :) .. I'll be setting up a new hospital tank today. Do you have a website for your hatchery? I am interested in some shell dwellers if that's also what you breed.
It was called Roraima Tropicals and owned by Dennis Hare. It closed down 10-12 years ago.

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
Walt, that's exactly what I thought at first but then I reminded myself they're still a couple of months old so there's no way he is holding :D he is coloring up so yea, he does look like a boy.

I am isolating the little guy today, but I'm still not sure what it is and how to start the treatment. My safest to go is to start with salt medication. I was also wondering if it's a good idea to do some visual inspection by trying to gently open his mouth, just like when you strip a holding female.
Be careful if you decide to open his mouth.

Jupiter Lobo

I am raising a group of electric blue haps babies. They are about 2.5 inches now, they are healthy and eating well. I just noticed today, one of them seems to have some sort of disorder. The fish looks pretty healthy, doesn't have any sign of issues on the fins or its body, it does not hide and it swims around and goes after the food but just bumps the food with its nose. It seems as if it wants to eat but just can't open its mouth. The only sign I noticed is its gills are opening a bit larger than other tank mates as it is breathing. I'll try to take a picture.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation?

Thanks

Hello there, the exact same thing has happened to my cichlid as well. He is a very active yellow cichlid. Today all of a sudden he is acting exactly like what you described.
I read that you used non iodised salt treatment. Can you please explain how to do it. Thanks