• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Oak Leaf Litter

abcdefghi

Members
Is there anything to be aware of when adding leaf litter to an aquarium? Other than watching water parameters, especially pH to make sure nothing goes crazy. I have a huge oak tree in the back yard (several actually) and am thinking of bagging up a bunch of the leaves to use as leaf litter in my tank.

I have a number of Apistogramma in the tank, as well as a bunch of corys that I think would really appreciate the leaf litter as hiding spots, adding to the overall natural look of the tank etc. Assuming I just collect the leaves, wash them off, dry them out and then add a few to the tank.

Thanks.

Becca

Members
I recommend removing them as they begin to degrade so they don't turn into dirt in the tank. Not that I ever take my own advice... I mean, who doesn't want a quarter inch thick layer of decayed leaf silt on top of their substrate?

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I recommend removing them as they begin to degrade so they don't turn into dirt in the tank. Not that I ever take my own advice... I mean, who doesn't want a quarter inch thick layer of decayed leaf silt on top of their substrate?

So pull them when whey are still slightly green?

abcdefghi

Members

I can absolutely see myself forgetting to remove them and ending up with that layer of dirt. Might send the kids out with a bag to get some leaves picked up :)

abcdefghi

Members
Dang it....... already singing along!! haha

Will give that article a read, then maybe head out into the backyard and see what trees I have out there.

Becca

Members
So pull them when whey are still slightly green?
Oh, no... no green leaves - I think you are joking, but just in case someone takes it seriously... dried brown fall leaves.

I collect a big garbage bag full of them each year and store it to use throughout the year.

Becca

Members
I think you are on the right track: wash them, dry them and plop them in, but realize they will make a mess, as Becca says. I’ve switched to magnolia leaves, which are not as messy, but you need to collect those in early summer.

Here’s an article on the topic (everybody, sing along!):

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/all-the-leaves-are-brown/

Matt - why early summer? My MIL has a Magnolia grandiflora at her house and I was going to get some leaves from it at some point. I want to plant one, but haven't been able to find a sapling available locally.

mchambers

Former CCA member
That's just when the magnolia seem to drop the most leaves, at least in my neighborhood. There are some deciduous magnolia, like the native sweet bay, and perhaps you can get leaves from them in the fall, but there aren't any around here, except for the one we planted two months ago.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Matt - why early summer? My MIL has a Magnolia grandiflora at her house and I was going to get some leaves from it at some point. I want to plant one, but haven't been able to find a sapling available locally.
The Merrifield Garden Center in Fair Oaks has a ton of magnolias.

Becca

Members
That's just when the magnolia seem to drop the most leaves, at least in my neighborhood. There are some deciduous magnolia, like the native sweet bay, and perhaps you can get leaves from them in the fall, but there aren't any around here, except for the one we planted two months ago.

Oh, they are not deciduous? I don't know jack schitt about magnolias, other than they have comically large flowers...

FishEggs

I have a big Magnolia tree (I think it's a magnolia)with pink flowers in my yard. It drops leaves in the fall and all the flower bud casings it the spring.
OK I just looked at some pics that came up on Google search and it looks like a magnolia. Some of the leaves are already starting to turn brown. I also have a very large copper beech on the property but they hold most of the leaves through winter even though they turn that nice coppery color in fall. So anyone is welcome to come over and grab bags full of leaves off the ground in about 5 weeks.

Becca

Members
I have a big Magnolia tree (I think it's a magnolia)with pink flowers in my yard. It drops leaves in the fall and all the flower bud casings it the spring.
OK I just looked at some pics that came up on Google search and it looks like a magnolia. Some of the leaves are already starting to turn brown. I also have a very large copper beech on the property but they hold most of the leaves through winter even though they turn that nice coppery color in fall. So anyone is welcome to come over and grab bags full of leaves off the ground in about 5 weeks.
Where Do you live?

zendog

Most of the deciduous ones I see around are the star magnolia types - magnolia stellata I believe - which usually have pink/purple flowers although a few are white. But the really big flowers are on the evergreen ones. The evergreen ones shed old leaves in the spring when they put out their new flush of growth. The leaves from the evergreen type are definitely thicker and more robust.

Like Matt, I found the leaves from the evergreen magnolia really hold up much better than oak leaves, although I use both depending on the fish I have in the tank and how rough they might be on the leaves. In one tank I have with Sturisoma, even the magnolia leaves are broken down into brown fluff in pretty short order.

I used to pick up leaves when I'd walk the dog around the neighborhood, but now I only get leaves from my yard. The reason for that is now that people are hiring Mosquito Squad and the various other Mosquito spraying companies, I don't want any of that getting in my tanks. If you've ever seen them spray, they are basically blasting a big fogging spray everywhere in the yards they're spraying, including up into the trees. Even in yards that don't spray having a neighbor who sprays can easily have it drift into your yard if there is any wind. None of my immediate neighbors spray, so I think I'm pretty safe.

JLW

CCA Members
The mosquito spray is mostly BT, which isn't harmful to fish (supposedly).

Of course, it's a blanket anti-insect spray, so you're killing the good and the bad, but, hey, at least you got the skeeters.

zendog

The mosquito spray is mostly BT, which isn't harmful to fish (supposedly).

Of course, it's a blanket anti-insect spray, so you're killing the good and the bad, but, hey, at least you got the skeeters.

The ones spraying in our neighborhood use sprays that include synthetic pyrethroids (which they say are based on substances found in chrysanthemums to make you feel better). I think pyrethroids can be toxic to fish even at lower levels and can also disrupt endocrine and reproductive processes. Either way, I'd rather not have them in my tanks.

mchambers

Former CCA member
The ones spraying in our neighborhood use sprays that include synthetic pyrethroids (which they say are based on substances found in chrysanthemums to make you feel better). I think pyrethroids can be toxic to fish even at lower levels and can also disrupt endocrine and reproductive processes. Either way, I'd rather not have them in my tanks.
Right. Bad stuff for fish and also bad for all of the good insects in our neighborhood. Wish that stuff would be banned.