• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Nitrate Elevation during Rainstorms?

Cal

CCA Members
Anyone notice nitrate elevations in their tap water during or briefly after a rain storm?

I've noticed that my tap water (WSSC) usually has 20 ppm of nitrate at baseline.

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
I never really payed attention to the tap after storms but I'm going to now. I do have 5ppm or slightly higher at any given time though

Cal

CCA Members
Anyone with well water notice a difference? I'm assuming if you live near farm lands and use well water, firtizer run off is more likely? Just wondering since it's raining outside. =P

chriscoli

Administrator
Did you notice if it's every rainstorm or just the first one after a dry spell? I used to do water quality testing in Arizona. They have a rainy season that starts sometime mid July. The first good rain would cause crazy spikes in nutrients, salts, and bacteria in the creek we were monitoring. It's called the 'first flush' phenomenon.

Makes sense it would happen here too to some degree, especially with all of the agriculture and residential lawns.

Reactions: Cal

JLW

CCA Members
I run a couple of reef tanks off of well water. In the early spring, we can't use it. The rest of the year, it's usually just fine.

Reactions: Cal

Becca

Members
I know that WSSC is adding extra manganese to the water right now to combat some sort of bacterial increase or something. It's turned water in much of the county yellowish or brownish. I have not noticed any ill effects on the fish, however.

Cal

CCA Members
I know that WSSC is adding extra manganese to the water right now to combat some sort of bacterial increase or something. It's turned water in much of the county yellowish or brownish. I have not noticed any ill effects on the fish, however.

Does WSSC provide this information on the internet? I'd love to stay informed of what's getting pumped into the tap.

FishEggs

And I thought my kid just wasn't flushing the toilet. Oops