• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Blue Emperor Tetra

stany

CCA Members
Has anyone kept Blue Emperor Tetra's? Looking to change up my community tank. I figure as tetras they are best kept in groups of six or more and they are schooling but can't seem to find anywhere if they are fin nippers or otherwise aggressive outside their own kind.

FishEggs

I've kept regular emperor tetras before and never had any problems with them in a community tank. Even got fry pop up every couple months. Don't know if the blues are any different.

stany

CCA Members
Not sure of the difference with regular Emperor either. They are nice as well. Also saw something called Purple Emperor that look interesting. As much as there is bad info on the net, sometimes there is little info as well, That's why I'm asking here. Thanks for replying.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Are you talking about Kerri tetras? if so, I've kept them, and they are not fin nippers. Males get a purplish sheen to them. Females are orange and brown. They spawned without any effort on my part.

Blaise

stany

CCA Members
Yes, Inpaichthys Kerri. I have seen them listed as Blue Emperor Tetra, Inpaichthys Tetra, Regal Emperor Tetra, or Royal Emperor Tetra. What was your M/F ratio?

mchambers

Former CCA member
Mike Hellweg gave a great talk on tetras at PVAS last week. He likes emperor tetras, said there is some debate about how many different species there are. He said blue emperor tetras are sensitive to water changes (he may have been talking about fry, my notes aren't clear on this).

Becca

Members
I find emperors to be easy and rather hardy. I've kept them in cool/temperate water and tropical. I get fry without much effort and generally find that larger groups are better because males will pick on each other, but not on other fish.

stany

CCA Members
I'm thinking of 6-8 in a community tank with Cardinals,White Skirt, Red Minor tetras and Beckford Pensilfish and a bonded pair of GBR's. Not really looking to breed them. Would likely rehouse the White Skirts or Red Minor.