• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Corydoras sp. C123 spawning video

mchambers

Former CCA member
Following two weeks with no water changes, and a lot of black worms and grindal worms, and 50% water changes yesterday and today (the later change with rain water) my Corydoras C123 are spawning. If you move to about 2 minues in, you'll see two of the fish in the T-position. Sorry for the low quality, but I didn't want to get too close and disturb the spawing.

From here, the trick is getting the fry from the eggs, and growing out the fry, which is not that easy with this species.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Quite possibly, since I only know of one or two others, both in Europe, who have had this fish spawn. I took another later in the evening and I'll post that later. Probably 150-200 eggs in total.

mchambers

Former CCA member
They are at it again tonight! About 30 eggs so far. Never had them spawn twice in one season before.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Don,

I have no idea what the triggers are. I hadn't seen these guys since the last spawning. The tank is planted and has a fair amount of wood, and the C123s were staying low, for a month. I did two 50% water changes last weekend, with rainwater, but that didn't seem to do anything.

I did lower the water level yesterday, for another purpose, but only three inches or so. I've been feeding some Repashy food for the last few weeks, mostly Grub Pie.

Found at least 100 eggs this morning.

I've got a bunch growing out from the last spawning (yes, there is one shrimp in there, too:

c123 fry December 2016.JPG

mchambers

Former CCA member
The juveniles are coming all nicely. Today, they were mostly hovering in the midwater area, which they hadn't done before.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Spawned again at some point in the last three days (I've been out of town). No video, obviously. This followed almost two weeks without a water change (just like last time), and heavy feeding of Cobalt pellets, Repashy Fruut Luups, blackworms, and grindal worms.

Water temperature is 74F and the water is very soft (58 ppm hardness).

Knowing corydoras, they did this on April 1, just to mess with me.

finzz

Members
Spawned again at some point in the last three days (I've been out of town). No video, obviously. This followed almost two weeks without a water change (just like last time), and heavy feeding of Cobalt pellets, Repashy Fruut Luups, blackworms, and grindal worms.

Water temperature is 74F and the water is very soft (58 ppm hardness).

Knowing corydoras, they did this on April 1, just to mess with me.

Mine did too (on the 28th). Do you suppose they're networking?

mchambers

Former CCA member
Looks like a lot of the eggs have hatched!
SCQqSyI0uWtAiWJO1rW3Q2dzVy_xAfj9AQJLp6Q67M1eLUot0hWmu1E1HCabIEEskvptemcizs1DcTKCg8DivShXN2-91bYvVVyKN6iJMUm_Fqnrw_Cu1lcS8j2SdXNUjuftpJi0QwIUD08-SB7it4jLv62T278OVSR5xDl8T_J3t3dMHfXlP-hb4bbbEqV6WjZ032QqR-cbdqLvOiTQtsYyi6gSWH0EfK_jZhZFzWmh9xOvJrAXcmqoD-ZJ84AMb4JDwcQt8kVlsI60TnKWL41-cgBtMSURLFh2SWG-fI8AWzh3G-_iecuytRAHm_CSlIw9lz3Zi2imN-wsj8AuXk9G-ScyS3Kj1o51YfBB-Ho8URZTEC-V1FHTPKcF_6D4T9D8G8Md0Y3k7Z60hWUTh8qlHGhq_xPEXSQ41lUlRitytbDxenzK2LS8KsS5wOOeHABs1MrzI0Qy5X1rIFPjBxMMyqD7WHLM0SzbZ0uhupU_YWh_XRBQS7CoSXDI_D9i3223_G5muTFubIWOKA19H-OAx61QHmJHqixUkGRc4Kw6D82Nmm1qL-mYldovVjQmLdF8VKntt66IYRmzs97cvGcmi7YZy6qTLjpJ0wR3fVD1LvkorCvT=w1192-h894-no

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
If they're networking, mine are out of telepathic range. Perhaps it's the all-lead aquarium...

Blaise

mchambers

Former CCA member
I've been converting some of my tanks to corner mattenfilters, which requires removing all of the water and fish from the tanks, so that you can silicone in the braces. Friday, I removed all of my C123s from their tank. I picked the largest female, who is probably more than 3" long, and two males and put them in 12 gallon tank. The rest of the fish I put in a 30.

Monday, I did a water change on the 12 gallon tank. Today, I saw a couple of clumps of eggs, and noticed that the trio was still spawning. Tonight, I started removing the eggs, and found about 80 on the glass. Knowing that these fish can put their eggs in strange place, I felt along the back wall of the tank, and found another 40. I then noticed some eggs on the leaves of a crypt that I had thrown in the tank last week, without bothering to plant it in the substrate. I looked at all the leaves, and found lots of eggs. I then pulled out a sword plant, and its leaves had eggs, too.

I'm guessing 200-300 eggs, all from one female.

That inspired me to do a water change on the tank that has the other C123s.

Maybe I need to move my corydoras more often, and also try reverse trios in small tanks more often, too.

c123 eggs may 30 2017.JPG

Poppa_Rock

I would Love to have some C123's does anyone happen to know where i could acquire a group? I live in Ohio. and do not want to try and import so i'd love to find some here in the US. Thanks in advance for any info!