• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sick Firemouth - Need advise

Hawkman2000

Members
Yesterday

Happened pretty sudden. One eye is locked looking up and the other down. Continuously tumbling sideways. Really beat up from banging on rocks.

Isolated him in net. Did 20% water change. Dosed tank with salt, melafix and pimafix, and put the UV sterilizer in.

Today

No change. More calm though. Wondering if I should put him out of his misery.:(

jonclark96

Past CCA President
No idea of the problem. I'd treat for a few more days before euthanizing. Maybe things with get better.

Hawkman2000

Members
Still no change. I think he might be blind. If his eyes aren't moving tomorrow I will put him out of his misery.

BTW, what is the best way to euthanize a fish. If it was a 5 pound trout I would just whack his head with a hammer, but I don't think I could bring my self to do that to the little guy.

Clove oil is by far the most humane and quickest way. You can pick it up at whole foods, and maybe some homeopathic sections in CVS. Put the fish in a small dish or cup with tank water and start dropping in the clove oil. They will quickly roll over anesthesized. You can add more after that, and then put in the freezer to be sure. I think putting in the freezer without the clove oil is inhumane (sorry Jon)

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Actually

Freezing to death is generally regarded as rather painless. Once past the shivering stage it's really easy to surrender and just fall into a sleep from which one does not awake. This is not conjecture - have been near the "threshold" more than once and can honestly say it's really quite seductive.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Been there

Only in modest amounts in conjunction with other botanical extracts for parasites. And yes it worked.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd imagine even more so for cold-blooded creatures (like fish).

Matt

Freezing to death is generally regarded as rather painless. Once past the shivering stage it's really easy to surrender and just fall into a sleep from which one does not awake. This is not conjecture - have been near the "threshold" more than once and can honestly say it's really quite seductive.

Dan

Members
Id treat him with some antibiotics first , marcel makes some good stuff but also the api stuff has worked wonders for my cichlids and even on a few of my girlfriends finicky discus. I would start treatment asap if you don't want to euthanize.