• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

PVAS Spring Auction - Wazupwidat?

I will pat PVAS on the back for their final results. I will be credited for the starting bid price of $40 for the 405. I was told at 6pm yesterday that all was sold other than 2 bags of fish as I was driving back to Fairfax to pick up my 2 unsold items. At that time, my 2 items were not present to be picked up. So I drove back home...twice throught the Dulles toll booth. Either way I learned a lesson. No hard feeling toward PVAS...

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
PVAS has always put on a first class event when it comes to conventions and auctions. Things will happen from time to time. You are talking about having a bunch of humans in one area. Does not matter if it is a fish person or not things, can always happen that are outside the control of the host club. Or for that matter the school or a hotel.
One just never knows.

I wish I could have made it yesterday. I am starting a community tank (150) and I am sure there would have been items I could have used.

Buckcich

Members
I have no evidence of a theft at this time. PVAS does its utmost to secure our auctions. We always have and we always will. I only ask people to allow us the time to do the audits and not jump to conclusions. ( Sherry)

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I MEANT TO SAY: Please be carefull with your statements

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
"Unlocked" cars are not "broken" into. Lock your car if you do not want company. This is not North Carolina where no one has to lock their doors John.

I noticed it took awhile for for one or two of my items to show up on the "seller" report. I knew they would though because PVAS runs great auctions. I sold 42 items. Every one was accounted for eventually. The problem is that the PVAS auction system is too good. You almost get to look over their shoulders and Kibitz (is that speeled right). Maybe they provide too much info.

I have been to many auctions. I did not stay for the whole thing Sunday because this old man was wiped out from bagging half the night and headaches were descending. Their system is the best I have seen anywhere. The PVAS people who ran the show were nothing short of professional.

CCA folks who would like to criticize can do so when they hold even a bad public auction of their own.

KUDOS to PVAS on a job well done. Or maybe it was because I made a bunch of $s for me AND PVAS.

George

jrpatter

Members
George is right most auctions wait 2-3-4 weeks to get results to the sellers. I was at the Atlanta auction 2 weeks ago and they are saying they will have the results and checks on the 10th.

John

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Sorry I couldn't make it. I had a great time last year and from the folks I spoke to who attended, it sounded like it was a good time as always.

Thanks to Sherry and the PVAS crew for busting their butts for the hobby! You guys rock. :)

The word "stolen" was used by 2 PVAS members when I called one member who just left the auction around 530, who said everything was sold but 2 bags of fish, and the other who claimed on the phone that neither were there to pick up. The retail value of both combined at Petsmart is $300, so worth looking into! The filter was never found and the bulbs were claimed on Sunday as not sold. I have said earlier that PVAS had made it right and I am satisfied with their auction!!

gardengirl

Members
The word "stolen" was used by 2 PVAS members when I called one member who just left the auction around 530, who said everything was sold but 2 bags of fish, and the other who claimed on the phone that neither were there to pick up. The retail value of both combined at Petsmart is $300, so worth looking into! The filter was never found and the bulbs were claimed on Sunday as not sold. I have said earlier that PVAS had made it right and I am satisfied with their auction!!

Dave, if you want the light bulbs, I can give them to you at the May meeting of PVAS at the same location. Our treasurer picked them up after the auction and has them safely at his house. Just let me know. :)

STATMATT

Members
I was at the auction, yes, there were not too many cichlids, but I picked up some shellies. and a mystery bag of 5 mbuna plus 10 fry in the bag. I got a 55 gallon tank that has a bad leak (doh! that's why I only buy tanks full of water!) but I got a steal of a deal for it, and will have it resealed by the end of the week.

The auction location was great, the use of the school facility was nice and parking was plentiful.

This was my first fish auction, and I was impressed. Very little could sneak through the cracks as far as theft is concerned. They had a good presence and managed the space they had very well. The assistance to the car was very helpful, even when we got the mini-hailstorm.

Some of the fish were bagged excelently, others were very leaky. i like how they called the seller of one of the fish to rebag the fish over the loudspeaker. The bake sale was top-rate and my fiance (not a fish person!) had a really great time.

Overall I had a great experience and would do it again.
STATMATT

gardengirl

Members
Some of the fish were bagged excelently, others were very leaky. i like how they called the seller of one of the fish to rebag the fish over the loudspeaker.
STATMATT

Thanks Matt. Two years ago, at the suggestion of our auctioneer, we created a "Rebagging Station" which is supplied with dechlorinated water, new bags, nets and supplies to rebag fish during the auction. Leaky bags happen to the best of us, and it's great to be able to dash over to the rebagging station and put your fish in a fresh bag if the bag leaks, or rebag a stressed out fish in fresh water with a Bag Buddy to save its life. It was a great idea and I'm glad we had it, as I had a leaky bag this time and needed it. :)

I highly recommend this to all who run and coordinate auctions and thank our member, Ron L. for suggesting it years ago. I believe he actually got the idea from an ACA convention! ;)

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Statmatt - you got a great deal on the 55 even if it is a leaker. I would have bid against you for it if it wouldn't have ended up in a divorce when I came home with another tank.

The auction was a lot of fun and well done. I am always impressed on how well PVAS has things running. And thanks again to Sherry who sat with my daughter when I ran out to get the car. The little princess didn't want to melt in the rain.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I sold a number of items at the PVAS auction. Minutes after the auction was over, on-line, I saw how I had done. Today, less than a week later, I have a check in my hand. No auction was ever like this.

George