• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

PVAS Spring Auction - Wazupwidat?

verbal

CCA Members
Ok here is the list attached in plain text.

Attachments

• pvas_auction_liist.txt
    17.8 KB · Views: 185

dogofwar

CCA Members
All in all...pretty good auction...not too many cichlids...but some great deals on tank set ups...

I got a seemingly new, in the box AV-50 air pump for $35...

Matt

Had two items grow legs and walk out the door...stolen. Fluval 405 and 2 nib 4 pin 50/50 bulbs. I will say the theif went after the good stuff! I
guess the world is getting tuff even in the fish hobby):

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I had a good time. I picked up some plecos and some swordtails for dithers. Sorry someone stole your stuff. That's a pretty shady thing to do.

F8LBITE

Members
I hung out for a little bit. I didnt see much I was interested in. It sucks to only have one tank, I really have to pick my stock carfully.

verbal

CCA Members
Had two items grow legs and walk out the door...stolen. Fluval 405 and 2 nib 4 pin 50/50 bulbs. I will say the theif went after the good stuff! I

Man that sucks about getting your stuff stolen.

Here is what I would do at a PVAS auction if I had a $50+ dry good. I don't think there is any more chance of an item getting stolen at a PVAS auction, but I know this process would work in the PVAS auction.

• pre-register the item.
  • keep it in my locked car until about 11:30.
  • go get a bump up sticker before getting the item
  • get the item from the car
  • put the item in the corral area
  • put the bump up sticker on the item and take it to the front of the line
You probably won't get top dollar with this approach, but you do lower the risk of the item getting stolen.

fischfan13

Banned
The stolen items and car break-ins gives the PVAS a bad name. Please be carefull with statements

How does this give PVAS a "bad" name?
This has now happened at three auctions in the past 6 months, at least that I know of.
It's sad and a shame.

jrpatter

Members
Yea how does my van getting broken into (while my son was sleeping in the back seat) give PVAS a bad name?

Cop was saying it is happening every weekend anywhere that cars are parked in mass, hotels, sporting events, malls, walmart, grocery stores, etc. He was saying mainly homeless and "undocumented" out of work persons. They are mainly going after change, CD cases, and the big thing GPS's.

John

jrpatter

Members
How does this give PVAS a "bad" name?
This has now happened at three auctions in the past 6 months, at least that I know of.
It's sad and a shame.

There was a weekend event at NCSU and they went through the parking deck stealing big audio systems. They were using one of those window punches, poping the trunks and unhooking whatever was installed.

On the video it showed them driving the deck like 3 times "looking" for a spot then a crew of about 10 people came through and hit 30 cars in under 15 min.

John

dogofwar

CCA Members
I guess times are tough...on the mean streets of Fairfax...

PVAS put on a very well-run, pleasant and efficient auction...sad to hear that something like this happened.

Matt

gardengirl

Members

The bulbs did not sell and they were there at the end of the day and were not picked up by the seller, so they have been forfeited as is customary. We are still investigating the 405. It did not show up on the sellers report, but we are still in the process of auditing the auction and can not say that ANYTHING was stolen from our auction.

I explained this to the gentleman who called my cell during the auction, and our treasurer has been on the phone with the owner of the 405. The sellers reports are subject to a complete review and audit after the auction is over. We are in the process of reviewing every clerking tag for every item now as we always do after auctions. It's possible that the item was sold and a card was not entered in the system, or a clerking tag was not prepared, or the clerk dropped the tag, or the tag was filed improperly. We will get to the bottom of this, I assure you.

I have no evidence of a theft at this time. PVAS does its utmost to secure our auctions. We always have and we always will. I only ask people to allow us the time to do the audits and not jump to conclusions.

Also, during the auction an unlocked car door in the parking lot was opened and some change was stolen. A police officer was summoned and both our corporate agent, and I met with him. I understand that this type of thing is happening all over the area and is not exclusive to our auction. This is the same location where we meet every month -- a converted elementary school that serves as a Senior Center and Day Care School. It is well-lit, was in broad daylight and in sight of the windows of the auction room, and was an unfortunate incident. I'm terribly sorry it happened and expressed that to the person it happened to. Again, sorry John. The police officer wrote a report.

I intend to write to our coordinator at the school and suggest that police presence in the area be increased as that location is also used as a church on Sunday and for a variety of uses with kids.

We had an incredible auction yesterday and all went well. Our people worked their hearts out, our buyers had a ball, and our sellers will benefit with checks mailed within 10 days. This fundraiser is a favorite among fish-lovers in the community and I'm so glad we could pull it off again. Thanks to all who came, all who worked, all who sold, and all who bought!

Sherry Mitchell
President
Potomac Valley Aquarium Society

Last edited: