• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

October meeting

chris_todd

Members
can do! :) Actually, ,I just have fry available, just went and double checked (forgot how many I shipped otu this week). I can sex them but if you wanted adults for your daughter, I know there are several other members who had them as well.
Ya know, a half dozen fry (as long as they're not super-tiny) would probably work fine, even if you can't sex them.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I want to thank everyone that showed yesterday.
I figured on a smaller turn out for several reasons.
1 Aquafest in just a few days
2 ECC auction being yesterday.
3 Elections
4 not having a "flown in" speaker.

I was surprised by a couple things. And pleased as well.

Like I said the turn out was better than expected.

The overall enthusiasm for the election was great.

And then there was G-dog.
George told me up front that he could do a 10 minute thing on his trips. I figured okay, I need to find a way to fill the other time. I thought I had copied my little talk on a dvd but it did not work. (along with all of the info or the election). Then he got started. I sat on the side for a few trying to figure out what to do next. But after just a few slides I realized. Hey this is great.
George your 10 minutes turned into a "proper?" talk. Don't know how to put it other than you could go on the road with it. Proper may not be the word I am looking for.
Basically George, Thank you. the talk was informative, entertaining, and well worth the time and effort you put into it.
We enjoyed it.
Thank you.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
On the other side of the coin. I want to apologize to everyone for my mood yesterday.
I woke up with a terrible headache and could not get rid of it. Stress? just sick? (in the head I know)
I got in the truck with the headache, drove 8 miles to I95 and found traffic sitting still. I managed to go around for a while but basically added about 30 minutes to my usual 70-80 minute trip down to the meeting. By then I was wiped.
So I am sorry if I offended anyone by a short answer or remark. Or from my general mood of the day.

Thank you
pat

Jumbie

Members
I want to thank everyone that showed yesterday.
I figured on a smaller turn out for several reasons.
1 Aquafest in just a few days
2 ECC auction being yesterday.
3 Elections
4 not having a "flown in" speaker.

I was surprised by a couple things. And pleased as well.

Like I said the turn out was better than expected.

The overall enthusiasm for the election was great.

And then there was G-dog.
George told me up front that he could do a 10 minute thing on his trips. I figured okay, I need to find a way to fill the other time. I thought I had copied my little talk on a dvd but it did not work. (along with all of the info or the election). Then he got started. I sat on the side for a few trying to figure out what to do next. But after just a few slides I realized. Hey this is great.
George your 10 minutes turned into a "proper?" talk. Don't know how to put it other than you could go on the road with it. Proper may not be the word I am looking for.
Basically George, Thank you. the talk was informative, entertaining, and well worth the time and effort you put into it.
We enjoyed it.
Thank you.

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

rsanz

monster tank newbie
I echo Pat's sentiments about George's presentation. It was fantastic! Thanks, George!

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
George mentioned he has never done something like that before. He did fine.
It brings to mind ......
Each of you could put together a talk on a cichlid related item.
We need local speakers. We can not afford to bring in every speaker. I came up with a talk for one of the clubs that I belong to. I have a hard time speaking in front of people but I had fun with it. It was about conventions.

You can all do it. It just needs to be about Cichlids or things we use with them. Remember Charlie's talk on stands. Mikes talk on photography.

Just don't get to technical.
We had a member some years ago give one on water. He was a professor. OMG you talk about over my head and heavy eyes. lol

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I really enjoyed it as well. I also wanted to say that my kids were RAPT by it. they came home talking of all the flora and fauna that they saw. My husband really enjoyed it as well. It really inspired me to want to do a collection trip and made me feel much more comfortable about making that happen. thanks so much for an excellent time George!

Jumbie

Members
Your are so right Pat George did a great job, if you didn't know any better you would have thought the club paid him to come.

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
OK, thanks but I won't get a big head. It has to do with your passion and I did think it would only take 15 minutes. Go figure.

I have to echo one thing Pat said. I am getting to know some of you pretty well and I know some of you are pretty passionate about certain aspects of the hobby. I have learned things just talking with you and know you have great talks in you. Fresh water inverts and water change/management systems come to mind right off the top of my head. I'm being selfish because I would like to hear them. Maybe you really don't have a lot to say and would really only take 10 minutes. There is no reason we can't have two or three shorter talks at a meeting.

If I can do it you can. In college I flunked public speaking.

JustRon

Members
Well, now I am sad I did not make it. I had already made family plans and thought it was best to complete those, plus I don't need the bug, I don't have any tanks ready yet.

Lively

Members
OK, thanks but I won't get a big head. It has to do with your passion and I did think it would only take 15 minutes. Go figure.

I have to echo one thing Pat said. I am getting to know some of you pretty well and I know some of you are pretty passionate about certain aspects of the hobby. I have learned things just talking with you and know you have great talks in you. Fresh water inverts and water change/management systems come to mind right off the top of my head. I'm being selfish because I would like to hear them. Maybe you really don't have a lot to say and would really only take 10 minutes. There is no reason we can't have two or three shorter talks at a meeting.

If I can do it you can. In college I flunked public speaking.

I'm really glad I got to come back and see your presentation - made me want to go there myself even more. Not doable next year - but maybe 2011 - seems like forever away...

Oh, and some people pay good money *just* to wallow in the mud... I saw those hipwaders you were wearing... and you dinged me for owning a pair! ROFL!

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Georges talk was great. The pictures really helped get a good sense of the trip's accomodations. The trip seemed like a lot of fun. And if George can drink for a week and only run a $50 bar tab, thats pretty good!

On a side note, weren't we going to talk about showing fish? I forgot during the meeting and don't remember hearing about anything.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Yeah, it certainly was a pleasure to hear your talk and see some great pictures, George. I think you really opened up a lot of eyes in terms of just how easy and relatively affordable a "dream trip" like that could be. I definitely see you getting your 10 folks next year to qualify us for getting the boat with the A/C.

Thanks so much for sharing. You truly are the man.

chris_todd

Members
Ya know, usually when someone says they're going to show you slides from their vacation, the usual response is to roll your eyes and plan on catching up with some needed sleep. BUT THAT WAS AWESOME!!!! :D The pictures were great, and really told a nice story, and George's descriptions of everything gave it a very personal feeling. I could easily imagine myself in George's muddy boots.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I saw those hipwaders you were wearing... and you dinged me for owning a pair! ROFL!

You saw something that wasn't there. You can ask MAB. Nobody has ever brought anything like hipwaders. Those were plain old nylon pants caked with mud. I always wear gym shoes. hipwaders wouldn't do you any good. Didn't you see those guys up to their necks in water?

George