• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

October meeting

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Does anyone have cories and otocinclus they could sell me? I need 4-6 of each for a planted Discus tank I'm starting up. Not sure what species of Cories I want... sterbai perhaps? Just not the albino kind; they wouldn't look right in a planted Discus tank.

Chris Todd
I think Julie (frybabies.com) either has or can get both. I know she had a large selection of cories, and usually has sterbai.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Otos

Interesting, I hadn't heard that before. Are they especially sensitive to ammonia?

I have read that otos need established aquaria, in part because they need to eat algae, which you won't have in a new aquarium. They also need a fair number of plants.

ingg

Members
Otos do crappy period.

I always buy at least twice as many as I want, as a high death rate seems inevitable with the little guys. Establshed tank, new tank, any condition.

chris_todd

Members
Otos do crappy period.

I always buy at least twice as many as I want, as a high death rate seems inevitable with the little guys. Establshed tank, new tank, any condition.
Well, we can't all be like Takashi Amano, I guess. ;)

toddnbecka

Members
I've never kept Oto's myself, but I've seen countless posts on several different forums about the buggers dying off for no apparent reason. The only folks who seem to have any success keeping them have large, well-established planted tanks. A BN will clean up the diatoms that inevitably pop up in a new tank as well as keeping the glass clear of algae. You'd need to supplement its diet with vegetables, but it's not a big deal IME.

chris_todd

Members
Well, thanks for the heads up/warnings, everyone, more information/advice/experience is always good. Being the pig-headed empiricist I am, however, I'm going to give them a shot anyway and see how they do. :) It looks like one of the vendors that will be at Aquafest (anubias design) will have some otos there at reasonable prices.

dogofwar

CCA Members
if anyone who participated in the grow out contest wants more little ruby greens, please let me know and I can bring them to the oct meeting

Same deal as the contest: $8 donation to the club for up to four of them

Matt

Any body want my grown out Ruby Greens? lol

I am bringing the Top Mount ST1600 model of the Xtreme Biofilter line to put it in the auction. Brand new in the box with bio media. All you need is an external pump and a 600gallon plus fish tank, a closed system fish room, or a koi pond. Get rid of your OLD trickle filters and put in a compact closed filtration system. YOU NEVER HAVE TO TAKE THIS FILTER APART.

Please ask me questions before you go and bring some money because the starting bid price will be lower than you think!

Retail price: $895

FEATURES:
6-way multi-port valve
Pipe Size (in.): 1 ½
Dimensions (in.): 16 1/2 x 33
System Wt (lb): 45
Recommended Flow Rate (gph): 3,000-3,500
Xtreme Bio-media: 1.0 cubic foot
Total Surface Area: 870 square feet

top-mount16%28400x400%29.jpg

Last edited:

Spine

Members
Well, thanks for the heads up/warnings, everyone, more information/advice/experience is always good. Being the pig-headed empiricist I am, however, I'm going to give them a shot anyway and see how they do. :) It looks like one of the vendors that will be at Aquafest (anubias design) will have some otos there at reasonable prices.
We get otto's in all the time and don't seem to experience any real high losses. When I buy otto's I make sure that I only buy the ones that have a full fat stomach, this will usually get them through any ajustment period until they are feeding well in your tank.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I brought Ottos back from Peru this August. All went in relatively new tanks. They eat Zuchinni just fine. They took awhile to get used to it but they eat green beans too. I'm sure they would like algae but they eat what they can find. So far they are doing fine.

George

toddnbecka

Members
I could use a few adult female ruby greens. Between them and the P. nyererei the only ones that survived were males. Apparently too many males of both species for the females to compete/live with?
The single male ruby green I still have seems to mix well enough with 1m/4f A. latisfasciata. Would adding female ruby greens cause a problem, or should I move them to a different tank?

chris_todd

Members
George and Kevin, thanks for the feedback on otocinclus, much appreciated.

By any chance, would anyone be able to bring some male endlers or guppies? My daughter recently expressed an interest in starting up her own tank (I think that will push us into the double digits in tank numbers, LOL).

See everyone tomorrow...

Chris Todd

ddavila06

Members
i might actually make it for the second time since i heard about CCA, yay! im trying to go collecting with the GWAPA guys nearby so why not stop by...i will keep an eye out for something different yet not spensive :p and just to hang out

msjinkzd

invert junkie
can do! :) Actually, ,I just have fry available, just went and double checked (forgot how many I shipped otu this week). I can sex them but if you wanted adults for your daughter, I know there are several other members who had them as well.

Last edited: