• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

YOUR WATER PUMP KNOWLEDGE

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
IM IN THE MIDST OF REPLACING A MAG 12 FOR MY WET DRY. IN MY SEARCH I HAVE COME ACROSS MAG 12 POND FILTERS WHICH ARE THE SAME JUST BUT HAVE LONGER POWER CORDS AND ABOUT 25.00 CHEAPER(GO FIGURE). IVE ALSO COME ACROSS SOME POND FILTERS FOR 2000GPH @ LOWES AND HOME DEPOT MUCH FOR ABOUT 110.00. I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH THIS SO I THOUGHT ID GET A GENERAL IDEA FROM THE CCA TECHNICAL GURUS.WHAT DO YOU THINK?

verbal

CCA Members
I think in general Pond pumps are not as quiet as those designed for aquariums. However it may just be a case of repackaging(and pricing) with the Mag 12.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I always thought that they were the same thing, but can't guarantee it.

I'm a big fan of Magdrive pumps. Have used them on returns for a couple of setups.

Be careful on oversizing the pump too much. Upgraded from a Mag 9 up to a Mag 12 (or maybe 12 to 15... can't remember) on my 180 reef-ready and actually have to dial it back a bit because the return pipes are not large enough diameter to handle the flow. I'd say check the specs on your return pipes to make sure they can handle the increase.... otherwise you're just wasting electricity.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I always thought that they were the same thing, but can't guarantee it.

I'm a big fan of Magdrive pumps. Have used them on returns for a couple of setups.

Be careful on oversizing the pump too much. Upgraded from a Mag 9 up to a Mag 12 (or maybe 12 to 15... can't remember) on my 180 reef-ready and actually have to dial it back a bit because the return pipes are not large enough diameter to handle the flow. I'd say check the specs on your return pipes to make sure they can handle the increase.... otherwise you're just wasting electricity.
NOT UPGRADING JUST REPLACING. I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF POND PUMPS ARE OK TO USE. I WOULD TEND TO THINK A POND IS WAY MORE FILTHIER THEN A INDOOR AQUARIUM WHICH IS WHY I WAS THINKING THEY WOULD BE STRONG AND DURABLE ENOUGH FOR A AQUARIUM. I JUST NEED TO BE SURE.

Charlutz

Members
Try contacting Supreme. Their customer service was responsive when I was asking questions about using valves to cut back the output. Oh, and Tony, when you dial it back, you are using less electricity with the mag pumps. Maybe not as much savings as a smaller pump, but it is consuming less power. :)

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Oh, and Tony, when you dial it back, you are using less electricity with the mag pumps. Maybe not as much savings as a smaller pump, but it is consuming less power. :)

Word! Thanks Charlie. :D

bschuhart

Members
I'm an Iwaki fan. I have 2 Iwaiki pumps (MD55 and WMD100) and one has been running not stop for 16 years and the other 5 years. The only time they have been off is power outages or aquarium cleaning. I have never opened them, replaced an impeller or cleaned them. They are the quietest pumps that I've ever used. They do cost more though.

If you look in to them WMD=American made moter and MD= Japanese Motor, some people believe the MD is better, I don't know, but the one I have that's been running for 16 years is an WMD100.

just my 2 cents!

Cartel

Members
I have oversized mags on my tanks with no problem. I use a gate valve (much more adjustment then a ball valve) I currenty have a mag 5 on a 40L! If I let it rip I could start a hillstream tank....what I have heard by others and read online mags can take the back pressure. As for mags pond vs aquarium pumps I have it understood the cord length is the only difference but I can't confirm. I but pond mags because of the price difference. Other brands I'm sure is a whole different ball game.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Pond pumps and aquarium water pumps are the same thing...except pond pumps are available at the end of the season at Petsmart for like 90% off :)

There's quite a bit of variability among pump brands with regard to energy consumption for a flow at a particular level of head. A little more money for a more efficient pump can go a long way in the long run.

Also, I am able to get away with using much smaller pumps to run "dump filters" vs. under the tank style sumps because I don't need to take into account head loss beyond a foot or so.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Matt and others are correct about Supreme pumps. Cord length is the only difference between those labeled for pond use and those that do not carry this label.