• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

You know something is really good when...

Plenipotentiary-at-large
...it's never for sale anyway except new on Ebay. Have yet to see a used or unwanted Alita air pump offered. Time to throw down for another Al-14A, and yet at a price of $125.00, which includes a 12-foot stainless steel manifold, for a unit that will easily and vigorously power 20+ sponge filters reliably for what is likely years before the diaphragms even need to be replaced, hard to know why I would even consider buying one of questionable provenance. Because its $125.00? Must be it - surely no other reason given the value.

JasonC

Members
Hey Sam, how quiet have you found the Alitas to be? "Fish room" only, or can they be used in a more multipurpose room without driving off others by the incessant drone? You have recommended these pumps my way before and I am finally in a position $$ wise to make the jump... would love to get rid of the menagerie of small pumps under my work table.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Not quiet per se, except in a relative sense, but definitely "not noisy"

Just playing - they're the bomb. Mine is in my bedroom and I'm really intolerant of extraneous noise and particularly machinery when I'm trying to sleep as I prefer my respites to be lyric. Can't speak to the larger models but the AL-14A and its smaller kin are first-rate. It's audible, but in a quiet way. The only reason I've still got my own "menagerie" of air pumps is because I haven't got a spare set of diaphragms yet for this one. They add $30 to the price but I believe Big Al's or someone has a discounted package deal ($129.00?) that may or may not come with a manifold. The price I gave before is from Ken's and he claimed a few months ago to have replacement diaphragms but haven't been able to get him on the phone since to get a price or to verify. Bottom line is whatever you're collectively using now is likely at least twice as noisy as the Alita will be. I bought five or six different kinds of "quiet" air pumps at one time (Rena, Whisper, Dolphin, Airpod, etc.) to compare and was either disappointed by their output and/or noise and/or crap quality (Whisper). Anyway, once you get up to a certain number of tanks the "one pump fits all" approach is the only one that makes any sense in a number of ways. As the owner of BMW Boxer and a former machinist I have a soft spot for things that are built and work well, so yeah, jump on it. If you're disappointed I or someone else will surely take it off your hands at cost.

ezrk

Members
I have an Alita and it is nice..but I wouldn't have it in my bedroom. I have yet to hear an air pump I would though.

The Alita is pretty solid though and lots of power.

Nathan

Members
The Medo pumps are very quiet, I cant hear it over the air.
Medo is the brand jehmco sells, but you can find them cheaper on google.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Thought

The Medo pumps are very quiet, I cant hear it over the air.
Medo is the brand jehmco sells, but you can find them cheaper on google.

Might be worth the little extra to go with Jehmco in case there's ever an issue if you go that route - they are fine upstanding folks that stand behind their products.

turfboss

Members
I just ordered (and awaiting delivery - hopefully tomorrow) of an Alita 40 - based on the discussion with Rachael (Alita80) and Franny (I think she said she had a Alita40) who power their (almost) whole fish rooms with one Linear Air pump (read diaphragm but easily replaced according to the literature and reviews). The inputs from these two fish geeks convinced me - with both swearing by this pump - that I should go this route. Noise wise I cannot attest to but the video on the web sounded like a low hum but probably a bit too noisy for a bedroom.

Am building the closed circuit piping in the ceiling of the fish room as we speak - Chris Oleary used a 1.25" PVC piping for the "closed circuit manifold" all the way around Rachael's fish room and suggested I do the same. Based on those two users of the Alita products (and doing a bit of research as well) I think this has to be one of - if not the best - air pump on the market - not the cheapest perhaps - my Alita 40 was $153 but based on everything I can read it will handle from 3,000 and up to 15,000 gallons of aquarium water across a huge surface area. It will take me a long time to run out of aeration power with this pump and I can get rid of the mess of wires and piping currently in place for the tanks I have up and running - and the new tanks coming on line will be an easy add on.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I just ordered (and awaiting delivery - hopefully tomorrow) of an Alita 40 - based on the discussion with Rachael (Alita80) and Franny (I think she said she had a Alita40) who power their (almost) whole fish rooms with one Linear Air pump (read diaphragm but easily replaced according to the literature and reviews). The inputs from these two fish geeks convinced me - with both swearing by this pump - that I should go this route. Noise wise I cannot attest to but the video on the web sounded like a low hum but probably a bit too noisy for a bedroom.

Am building the closed circuit piping in the ceiling of the fish room as we speak - Chris Oleary used a 1.25" PVC piping for the "closed circuit manifold" all the way around Rachael's fish room and suggested I do the same. Based on those two users of the Alita products (and doing a bit of research as well) I think this has to be one of - if not the best - air pump on the market - not the cheapest perhaps - my Alita 40 was $153 but based on everything I can read it will handle from 3,000 and up to 15,000 gallons of aquarium water across a huge surface area. It will take me a long time to run out of aeration power with this pump and I can get rid of the mess of wires and piping currently in place for the tanks I have up and running - and the new tanks coming on line will be an easy add on.

Looking forward to your install thread complete with pics.