• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Yesterday at H Mart

Sonny Disposition

I stopped by H Mart yesterday, to look for great deals on fruits produce. After scoring some citrus and oyster mushrooms I ambled on over to the fish market. The fish market was greatly reduced in size, as they're modernizing it.

Anyway, I found what were labeled as dried shrimp (they look like krill to me) and a bag of kelp. Both were really inexpensive--the shrimp a little over $2, and the kelp, $1.99.

I ran some of each through a coffee grinder and added them to a batch of food I mixed up. (I got some new fish in over the weekend and wanted to get some garlic into them quick, in case they're carrying any internal parasites.)

The tostones were for me, not for the fish. I thought I'd save some time buying them frozen, but I don't think they were as good as fresh. (Made fresh, they involve some labor--in addition to slicing and frying them, you need to take them out of the hot oil when they're about halfway done, squash them in a press, and then finish frying them.)

The kelp and the shrimp are obviously intended as human food, not fishfood. If anyone on this Forum knows how they're prepared for human consumption, please chime in and tell us. (I'm curious.)

My son did point out a possibility for the kelp. For health reasons, I've become a semi vegetarian. Apparently, the kelp can be substituted for bacon in bean dishes, adding a fullness and meatiness that wouldn't be possible otherwise. I' haven't tried that yet--maybe tomorrow.
HMart.jpg

Last edited:

kaj41354

Members
I am going to have to stop by this place next time I am in MD. Can someone give me the actual address so that I can plug it in the GPS. Otherwise this ol'd man will get lost

Sonny Disposition

Kurt, buddy, it's on Georgia Avenue. Do you take the beltway to Ga Aven North? It's a block before Randolph Road, in the shopping center on your right, next to the beer and wine store and the card shop. The same center as the pizza place and the DVD rental.

I do have to tell you, though, that the items sold vary greatly. They get it in fresh for a good deal, it sells out, then they get something else. I went in there trying to get pollack roe. I didn't find it, so I bought the shrimps/krill.

Here's a link:

http://company.hmart.com/shop_store.asp?store_code=WTN

marge618

CCA member
There's one in Catonsville as well:

located at the intersection of Route 40 and Rolling Road

(It's right across the street from the Giant Grocery store which is
6223 Baltimore National Pike Catonsville)