• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Yellow Labs and Demasoni

bschuhart

Members
How long will the females hold for before releasing and how long should I wait if I want to strip the fry?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
The length of time they'll hold can vary depending on the age and condition of the female, but most can hold up to 28 days. Eggs hatch after about 10 days depending on water temp. I usually strip between 14 and 20 days post spawn to make sure the fry are well developed. If you put a holding female in an empty tank by herself, she will usually spit earlier than if left in the main tank.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
I typically let the girls spit on their own because striping can be very stressful and it will damage them for quite a while. Usually what I do is after I see the Female Labidochromis caeruleus holding for 5 days plus I isolate her.

Consequently, within 2 1/2 - 3 weeks is when they'll spit their fry depending on how comfortable they are and their environment. Afterwards, I immediately place the female back in the tank so she won't think twice about eating the babies,but most of them don't anyways.

Good luck,

RM

longstocking

Members
I typically let the girls spit on their own because striping can be very stressful and it will damage them for quite a while.
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm... damage them? How?

While there are different opinions on if you should strip or not I have never heard of them being damaged ??????????????? :wacko: