• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Yellow lab help

Cartel

Members
Alright so im getting all kinds of use out of this forum today.

When I got home I noticed one of my yellow labs up at the top of the tank on his side. He doesnt seem to breathing hard and looks to have most of his fins in pretty good shape. I did notice after looking closer at him that his tail has been roughed up a bit and that on his left side (which is the side always facing down now) has a couple slaces that looked lets say raised up a bit? It just looks like maybe he got beat up a bit. Everyone else seems to be doing just fine. Water checks out good everyone feeding good. So my real question is if everyone would agree he just got beat up? Second what should i do with him. I dont really have a hospital tank (it got used for a planted tank haha) but I do have like a container thats maybe 2 gallons? Should I move him into there with some salt and an airstone and do daily water changes? Do they recover from stuff like this?

Sorry for all the questions at once but iv never kept agressive fish and never has any do this. When I was younger and had fish they just died!

maddog10

Members
What else is in the tank?
Sounds like he got beat down.

You can use the container. Do you have a filter you can put in. Airstone is good, but you need a filter. You can use water from the main tank and do lots of water changes. This is the reason why I always have extra sponge filters running, you can always pull one and add it to another tank in an emergency.

Cartel

Members
2 other yellow labs, 2 socofoli, 3 Maingano Theres one Maingano whos a good 4 4.5 in. I would suspect the healthy Maingano out of everyone even though he seems fairly calm. I can move him to the container but I dont have a spare filter. Ill try doing water changes from the tank in the container.

Is this something fish can recover from? Never really dealt with injured fish so I have nooo idea.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Cartel, use a breeder net and place it in the tank and a little splash of Melafix inside the breeder net. Then place the fish inside the breeder net. That way you don't have to worry about a medicine tank for now.

If he is strong, he will survive. The Melafix will help him restore his damaged fins. I know everything is closed right now, but if you're near a Walmart call them up and see if they might have a breeder net and get one.

Otherwise, get one tomorrow and place him in there. It will protect him from whoever is beating him up.

Good Luck

Richard

Cartel

Members
Good idea thanks! Ill pick something up tomorrow. He should be weak enough to stay in the breeder net at them moment.

Sonny Disposition

Cartel, I wouldn't keep yellow labs with Maingano. I had a smallish female Maingano in a temporary holdiing tank with two yellow labs and a jewel fish, and she terrorized all of them.

I think you can get away with keeping the socolofi and the Maingano together, but you should have lots of rock piles so they can get away from each other when they need to.

2 other yellow labs, 2 socofoli, 3 Maingano Theres one Maingano whos a good 4 4.5 in. I would suspect the healthy Maingano out of everyone even though he seems fairly calm. I can move him to the container but I dont have a spare filter. Ill try doing water changes from the tank in the container.

Is this something fish can recover from? Never really dealt with injured fish so I have nooo idea.

Cartel

Members
Well the yellow lab is looking a little better today actually so im glad. He can swim a little better on not so much on his side like last night. He has been hiding behind a powerhead in a corner. Today hes hiding between a large amazon sword in the tank. I also put some danios from my planted tank in there hoping that would keep the cichlids ticked off enough to not bother him. So far so good. Works kept me busy but when i get off im going to go pick up a breeder net for him to chill in.

And yeah im pretty sure its the big maingano as it likes to claim alot of turf. Iv got some rock work but im going to keep adding to it to make tons of hiding places.

Thanks for the help everyone