• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Yellow lab genders?

04rwon

Members
Heres my 2 electric yellow labs, i think i have a male and female but wanted to see if you all could verify.
Thanks

2pzxmjq.jpg

2epkavq.jpg

zackcrack00

Members
If you take them out of the tank and flip them over, there will be 2 holes. One is the vent, the other is the anus. The male's holes will be the same size, and the female will have one small, and one large to give out eggs. It's very hard to tell gender by looking at fin shapes and color patterns for Labidochromis caeruleus cichlids. Hope this helps.

04rwon

Members
Im not good enough to do the venting thing lol. I guess ill just hope for the best lol. Maybe they will pair up.

I thought light black stripes ment female and black stripes on the dorsal and the bottom fins ment male.

zackcrack00

Members
In some cases, but you can alter that with line breeding. And you should try, the females hole is like 3x the size of the other hole. Just post pics. We will tell you!

chriscoli

Administrator
It can be pretty difficult to tell just by flipping them over and looking sometimes. If you do have a female, and she's never spawned before, she can look a lot like a male.

Hannibal

Members
Mbuna are harem breeders so they necessarily don't "pair up". Its best to keep them in groups of 1 male and 3 or more females especially when they start breeding.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Darker fins will often just indicate a dominant fish. Suppose you had two males in a tank - one with darker fins, one more faint. If you were to remove the one with the darker fins, the other would likely darken over time.

I've never been able to sex yellow labs.

Fingers crossed that you have one each though. :)

04rwon

Members
The convicts seem way easier to breed lol. Although.. I dont think they have started breeding yet....

The one with te lighter stripes doesnt really have any other black on it. There may be just a slight super thin black line on the bottom fins but not much. It may have only been the shawdow bc at other angles it looks like nothing.

The one with the black is the newer one. It has had alot more black come out in the 29 gallon. In the 55 i guess there was too much competition. They seem happier in the 29.