• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Yellow Lab Fry Incoming

WendyFish

Members
So, at the start of this, their final week in quarantine, one of three new yellow labs is holding. We were trying to rebalance the gender ratio in the 55 (needs more females), so the good news is we at least know one is a girl. :lol: And at a little under 2in, she's a precocious one as well.

Generally, I'd just move the other two out and let her hold in the 20L until she spits. The problem is, given the timing, she is likely to spit about 2 weeks before we go on vacation for a week.

So we can do the requisite high maintenance feeding/water changing for two weeks but then it gets dicey. We have an auto feeder we might be able to set up. We might be able to get a neighbor to feed them too. But we probably can't accomplish water changes for that week. (One result being I don't want to ask a neighbor kid to do it with the possibility they're going to be dying off.)

So two questions--

Would fry this young be okay without water changes for 9 days, assuming we can arrange to feed them?

Failing that, are the fry too little at that age to survive a transfer to someone else who wants them (should anyone want them)? My guess is they are too delicate.

I'm not averse to moving mom to the big tank and letting her spit in there and know she'll breed again, if that's the right answer. Just want to ponder the options.

minifoot77

Members
the fry should be ok in a 20L with the mom for a week or two thats a good bit of water to foul up with one adult and a couple of fry... what kind of filters you got on the tank?

WendyFish

Members
I'm kind of thinking it should be ok, or will be half-ok with some losses. We let the last mom spit in the big tank, and there were 2 fry still alive after about 5 weeks, with only the scraps of the big fish's food to munch on, and weekly water changes. One tough little guy even survived our 10-day vacation when the feeder ran out.

Thanks for the feedback!