• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

wtb slate

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Hello! I was thinking, my 55 and 120 don't have enough hiding spots for the fish, I also just really like the look of slate. So if you have slate (or any rock that doesn't raise ph) or know a place that sells it at a fair price, please tell me. Thank you.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Membership has its privileges

Have old 100% slate roofing tiles aplenty, whole and in pieces - not a bad look, good for "tiering", make great spawning sites for cichlids and you'll love the price. :D

spazmattik

Members
alot of of flower nurserys carry slate rock for pennies per pound

I wish I could find some rocks for pennies per lb.. lol. Apparently everything is expensive in nova.. I found large round river rocks for 7 dollars a rock at meadows farms.. by large I mean 5-8 inch rocks..

verbal

CCA Members
That seems a little big.

I think the full tiles aren't as big as the full ones in the picture. If the ones you get from Sam are too big for your uses they can be broken fairly easily. Also he mentioned that he has pieces.

Since they are thing they are great for the roofs in a stacking arrangement, also they can be used nearly vertically which is great for site breaks.

One thing I have done with them is used them to cover other decor - resin ornaments, or larger rocks.

Cbaker

Members
Slate Rocks

Hello,

I have about 12 pieces of slate rocks that i recently took out of my cichlid tank. Please le tme know if you are interested. You can Pm me or e-mail me at cgbman012@gmail.com.

Thanks.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
The world is full of rocks

Just takes a Little enterprise - most any creek or stream bed will serve.

Forester

Members
I have piles of them if you want some.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MonteSS

Members
Careful, slate is very sharp and can cut fish.

Local landsaping place sells round river rock by the bucket load. He gave me as many as I wanted for $20.

Also granite they use for rip rap at lakes if abundant around here. I have a bunch but you need to come get it.

....Bill

turfboss

Members
Lots of places sell rock - slate - etc but one of the best in the DC area is Irwin Stone - go here - http://www.irwinstone.com/en_us/products/categories/view/2 the Deleware rock whether it be 3-5" or the 5-8" is $0.05 per pound (that is five cents) - slate in irregular/ broken pieces is $0.18/pound. For rough estimate on weight, one cubic foot of stone weighs in at approximately 90 to 100 pounds.

Irwin have big bins of rock and you can just go pick out what you want - bring a bucket or two or some boxes to load them up - they will weigh them and charge you for what ever you take - as an example of comparing it to a place like Merrifield Nursery (or any nursery for that matter) - one 5-8" rock is likely to weigh - perhaps at the most 20# - so that will cost you $1.00 at Irwin's - they are located on E.Gude Road - in Rockville - they also have a place in Frederick for those that live up that way.

turfboss

Members
Forget the Stone Store - they are really expensive - try Maisel Brothers Inc at 16 8th NW Ave, Glen Burnie, MD - again you can come in and pick put what you want - they will sell stone for about $5.00 a bucket - that by the way comes to almost exactly the same $0.05/pound that Irwin sells for.

turfboss

Members
Two other suggestions - try TriState Stone (just outside the beltway at River Road) and in the Sterling/Leesburg area give Luck Stone a call (not sure they will let you come and pick but you can ask).