• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB/LF Rocks for a Cichlid tank

lgfelic

Members
Greetings,

I am setting up a 40 gallon breeder tank to transfer some of my African cichlids to it. Would like to add some rocks to it to give them some divisions, hide ceramic caves and just make it prettier. :D
If anyone has any that you could spare, sell or 'loan me' for an indefinite period of time it would be most appreciated. Algae covered rocks that you may not want from your existing tanks would rock even more! :lol:

Please let me know! (PM me!!)

Would be able to pick up at the CCA meeting... unless my job has some nasty surprise in store for me.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
You're in luck...

The planet is positively covered in them.

You're right between two forks of the Anacostia River (stream). It's absolutely full of nice polished rocks and pebbles. And they're free....

dankdabe

Members
Ditto. Lookin for rocks as well. Would go out searching but they're pretty hard to come by in the concrete jungle I call home, DC

Plenipotentiary-at-large
I live in Columbia Heights...

...and they're everywhere. Really. Alleys, vacant lots, planter boxes, creeks, construction sites, community gardens, parks, pretty much everywhere.

dankdabe

Members
true. Rock Creek Park is about all I'd trust within the city. Better believe I would boil the hell out of anything I find!

toddnbecka

Members
Boiling rocks can be dangerous; if there's an air pocket inside one it may actually explode. Better to us bleach if you're worried, though if the rock/s have been sitting dry in the sunlight for any length of time they're pretty safe to use.

mscichlid

Founder
If the rocks have lots of nooks and crannies, salting would be another method. If you do find those kind of rocks let me know where you found them:)

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Geez...

What do you think is hiding in them that's so potentially fatal? If they're non-porous (which most are around here that are not sandstone/limestone), hot soapy water should be sufficient if not overkill, particularly if they come out of a creek where anything water soluble should have long since vectored far far away. I'd be far more worried about anything originating out of an LFS than I would about something I pick up off the street or in a field. Just stay away from concrete and anything soft and and you should be fine.

And Francine is right about boiling rocks. Really good if uncommon way to bring unintended drama to your kitchen if your selections are ill-advised.