• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB F1 or F2 Yellow Labs

daninmd

Members
Hi, i am looking for 4-5 high quality yellow labs. I want to get some nice bright yellow with dark black fins. Looking for juveniles if you have them.

Please PM with what you have. Thanks

eden2020

Members
Yellow Labs

In Florida I bought a group from a local breeder that are what I consider one of the nicest strains I have seen. I am down to a trio, and probably a good thing- they breed WAY too much. Just stripped another 20 or more.

They are F? ... honestly that has never mattered to me. As long as my fish are a strong strain and no hybridization I am happy. More concerned with the look and correct representation of the fish.

You are more than welcome to look at them. I have several newborn fry to very small juveniles. I just moved 8 or 9 to my wife's "display" tank.. the only one upstairs. LOL

Let me know..

-marc and family.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Yellow labs are one of the oldest Malawi cichlids in the hobby. Because of this (and that they're easy to breed), the supply is huge, making demand for wild-caught fish almost non-existent. Don't think I've ever seen any on any lists before.

verbal

CCA Members
You can order from Dave's: davesfish.com, he has a nice strain. Or sometimes nice yellow labs show up in the club mini-auctions.

daninmd

Members
Yellow labs are one of the oldest Malawi cichlids in the hobby. Because of this (and that they're easy to breed), the supply is huge, making demand for wild-caught fish almost non-existent. Don't think I've ever seen any on any lists before.

not asking for wild caught, was asking for 1st gen or 2nd gen fish...or any other high quality yellow labs with a good strain. as you are aware there are a lot of bad yellow labs out there on the market

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
not asking for wild caught, was asking for 1st gen or 2nd gen fish...or any other high quality yellow labs with a good strain. as you are aware there are a lot of bad yellow labs out there on the market

I understand what you are asking, just in order to have F1 or F2 fish, someone in the club would have to have wild caught yellow labs - which I am saying are pretty rare in the hobby (more rare than say, peacocks or an uncommon hap).

Marc said he had some nice yellow labs for sale and you just glossed right over his post. That would imply that simple "high quality" yellow labs were not an option.

There are bags of yellow labs at nearly every meeting in the mini-auction. Over the last 3 years, I've personally sold maybe half of them out there and though not traceable back to the lake, are of good quality.

Good luck. :)

daninmd

Members
I understand what you are asking, just in order to have F1 or F2 fish, someone in the club would have to have wild caught yellow labs - which I am saying are pretty rare in the hobby (more rare than say, peacocks or an uncommon hap).

Marc said he had some nice yellow labs for sale and you just glossed right over his post. That would imply that simple "high quality" yellow labs were not an option.

There are bags of yellow labs at nearly every meeting in the mini-auction. Over the last 3 years, I've personally sold maybe half of them out there and though not traceable back to the lake, are of good quality.

Good luck. :)

like i said in follow up post, looking for high quality fish. in the past i had a great group of F1 yellow labs that i bought from a breeder in florida. i have only been up here for a couple of years from Florida, but i guess i was lucky to live near two importers that had groups of WC and F1 yellow labs they used for breeding high quality yellow labs. Didnt realize that was the case up here , but now i know i suppose. i have seen a LOT of poor strains of yellow labs

and just because i didnt respond in the post doesnt mean i "glossed over" his post. i actually PM'd him, but ended up working out a deal from another member today, so i am no longer looking at this point.

No longer looking for yellow labs, so thanks CCA!

Jefft

Members
Not a stupid question at all...

Stupid question (I am new to fishkeeping) whats F1-F2? Hope you can find some labs.

WC is Wild Caught.. IF wild caught fish pair up and mate their offspring will be F1 if the F1 offspring pair up and mate then their offspring are F2. The thinking is the closer to WC you are the better quality the fish and coloration they present. Hence, many fishkeepers seek fish that are as close to WC as they can possibly get.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Unfortunately, the "wild is better" myth is just that, as is the F1 is better than F2, etc.

Reality is that wild fish are variable in coloration just like tank raised fish - some individuals have good color and others not so much. It sells expensive fish, which may or may not actually be wild, though!

The best colored fish come from a couple of generations of line breeding.

If you're trying to avoid hybrids being sold as Yellow Labs, buy your fish from a reputable hobbyist or vendor.

As an aside, the chances of buying LEGIT F1 or F2 Yellow labs is pretty small - not impossible but I'd definitely want to know the importer of the fish or I'd call BS.

Matt

The thinking is the closer to WC you are the better quality the fish and coloration they present. Hence, many fishkeepers seek fish that are as close to WC as they can possibly get.

daninmd

Members
As an aside, the chances of buying LEGIT F1 or F2 Yellow labs is pretty small - not impossible but I'd definitely want to know the importer of the fish or I'd call BS.

Matt

completely agree with that statement! only reason i believed the guy was that i knew him for a long time AND I went with him to the airport twice to pick up the shipment of fish arriving via Africa. ended up buying fish from his first batch of fry from those yellow labs and white top hara. had the yellow labs for a while but sold them back to him when i moved from Florida to MD. i had him ship my F1 white top haras via air cargo when i arrived up here. really wish i would have kept the yellow labs too. oh well.

Thanks again to CCA, i am picking up my new yellow labs this afternoon!