WTB Eheim 2213...

Jeff721

Members
Hmm.. maybe I should be considering a 2215 instead? I will be just at 30 gallons and moderately to heavily stocked...

Eheim filters are different in the gph rating from what I understand. They house the appropriate amount of filter media for the tank volume for which they are rated. But they don't provide the flow which we deem to be correct. So in turn more of your water spends more time with the filter media, but doesn't turn over as often.

If you know about photography it is a simple concept to get. You can expose more light to film in two ways, one is to use a larger opening, thus allowing a flood of light to cover the film. The other is to use a longer exposure thus allowing more interaction time with the film.

Both produce a picture, the former is less detailed but faster. The latter is very fine detail but slower.

Basically the "5x Tank volume Per Hour" rule goes out the window (mostly) with eheim filters. Want more flow, add a powehead. Eheims are great for planted tanks and fine substrate that you don't want a monsoon in your tank.

verbal

CCA Members
Also Eheims rate flow-rate with media. So the gap between them and competitors close a lot when you factor that in.

Spine

Members
Jason, I did find a 2213 but managed to break it while rinsing it out :angry3:

If I can find the other one I'll bring it to the meeting

Becca

Members
Hmm.. maybe I should be considering a 2215 instead? I will be just at 30 gallons and moderately to heavily stocked...

I used mine on a heavily stocked 30 gallon and it worked out well. The tank was also heavily planted, which can make a difference.

JasonC

Members
Jason, I did find a 2213 but managed to break it while rinsing it out :angry3:

If I can find the other one I'll bring it to the meeting

Ha! That sucks... Thanks though. I actually wont be able to make the meeting, but if you do find it, PM me and we'll figure something out.