• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB Cichlid Sand

I just need about 10 lbs of any sort of fine, cichlid-ready substrate, ideally something that can help buffer my water. I have a colony of very small multifasciatus fry going in a 10g for now, I've just had a hard time finding sand in a small enough amount. Alternatively, if anyone's going to be buying any kind of live sand, like from the EcoComplete line, I'd be super interested in splitting a package.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Pool filter sand is a much more affordable option, although it won’t buffer like some of the aquarium based products. It is super clean and doesn’t need to be rinsed.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Yeah, a little bit of crushed coral, or some small pieces of limestone in the tank should be enough to help with the buffering. I think the shells themselves provide some buffering capacity as well. I generally do PFS with limestone because the cichlid sand can get expensive in larger quantities, though it does look nice too.

Unfortunately I spent a boat load of money for cichlid specific sand before I found out pool sand would work as well. I found out the hard way for sure, but it looks nice and I'm alot more cautious when vacuuming the sand because each ounce is $$$$ down the drain.

Tangcollector

Staff member
I have an opened bag of Carib Sea Aragonite. It may be 10 pounds. It is white. You can have it. I have mixed it with pool filter sand and it makes for a pure white substrate. And it has always worked real well for me at buffering the water for africans. Are you going to the meeting?

stany

CCA Members
I use Carib Sea Aragonite. Works great for me once it settles down and the cloudiness is not harmful to cichlids