• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB: Background for 150 gallon

Becca

Members
If anyone has a 3D background they're looking to sell (something we could hid equipment behind) that would be awesome!

Otherwise - black.

Have some pea gravel and cichlid mix gravel for trade, although that clearly doesn't cover either.

If we could get to the back of the tank, we'd paint it, but it ain't happening.

Ading522

Members
Youtube is your new friend :)

WHAAAAAAAAAAA? I can? TELL ME MORE!!!!!

Can this be done even if there's already water in the tank?

Yes you can..there are a lot of videos on YouTube instructing you how to make one..I would sugest draining the tank first so you can silicone the piece into place, but if you just want to make a piece and drop it in, go for it.. It should be fun..its my next project.. Have fun browsing YouTube! Creativity is key..you'll love it more when you made it.. Just my two cents..:)

daninmd

Members
WHAAAAAAAAAAA? I can? TELL ME MORE!!!!!

Can this be done even if there's already water in the tank?

yes you can. there are quite a few articles and stickies on cichlid-forum under the DIY section...including how-to's.

Becca

Members
yes you can. there are quite a few articles and stickies on cichlid-forum under the DIY section...including how-to's.

SWEET!

Honestly, a 3d background had not even occurred to me until this afternoon when I quite accidentally stumbled upon one on Amazon.com...

This could certainly be a fun family project... of course, if I disappear mid-project, ya'll will know where to look for the body ;)

Becca

Members

Thanks!... Hmmm... draining the 150 is not an option... Maybe this will wait until we have to drain it to move it at some point. The other issue is that I have 2 center-braces, so 3 sections. It might be hard to get everything interlocking.

I'm going to keep looking. If I'm going to do a project like this I want it to be something that is somewhat permeable and can be used to hide filters and heaters... If it's siliconed into place I'm not sure that will quite do what I want.

Maybe I'll do a test-run on our quarantine tank...

The other piece is that it doesnt necessarily have to be all together all the way across the back of the tank, you can create pieces to just go in the specific areas you need to cover, ie cut foam to look like a tree trunk, cutting the back out to cover filter tubes or give a heater clearance and then use the flat black plastic for the areas between your creations.

Becca

Members
The other piece is that it doesnt necessarily have to be all together all the way across the back of the tank, you can create pieces to just go in the specific areas you need to cover, ie cut foam to look like a tree trunk, cutting the back out to cover filter tubes or give a heater clearance and then use the flat black plastic for the areas between your creations.

That might be much more doable... hmmmm... great ideas. I will have to think on it :).

You know, this would be an excellent way to create "planting nooks" for things that might take root in a solid base.

Its the way some aquarists also plant things that are difficult for their fish to dig up because they cant get at the sides to dig them up.

spazmattik

Members
ARTS AND CRAFTS TIME!! :) I have been wanting to do this for a while. Maybe I will do a test run on my 30 gallon once i tear it down.

Becca

Members
My husband, "You can try and build something, but don't be insulted if I don't like it." Guess I'd better put this one off until I have an empty tank of my own to play with.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Sounds like you've moved over to the moss background, but if you have a sawzaw with a long enough blade, try cutting a piece of root-shaped driftwood down the center. Glue or just place the two pieces up against the back glass for a cheap, neat 3-D design.

AquaStudent

Members
I did a DIY foam and concrete background this past winter. I thought I made a build thread of it but apparently I didn't. (I'll try to put one together/look to see if I've just misplaced the thread).

It's a fun project but it is permanent. Your hubby can see the design before you finalize it.

Tony #1's idea would be neat too.

Combo that with painting the back glass/putting up the plastic backgrounds you'd be set.

AquaStudent

Members
Becca, I found the build thread I made on another site and copied it over to the CCA forums.

http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18422

Maybe this will give you some ideas. You could easily use different colors of concrete to build root structures with details and rockwork.

I have absolutely no artistic talent and this build came out fairly decent. You've got more skill on your side so whatever you would make would be a million times better. Perhaps show this thread to your hubby and see if he has any ideas.

Becca

Members
Becca, I found the build thread I made on another site and copied it over to the CCA forums.

http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18422

Maybe this will give you some ideas. You could easily use different colors of concrete to build root structures with details and rockwork.

I have absolutely no artistic talent and this build came out fairly decent. You've got more skill on your side so whatever you would make would be a million times better. Perhaps show this thread to your hubby and see if he has any ideas.

You think I have skills? Hahahaha... Oh my.... We'll see. I'm going to start playing with stuff... I'm liking moss walls but not sure how I feel about using them to cover the entire back of a tank... At least it's something to keep me occupied that isn't heinously expensive and doesn't involve buying more fish.