• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Worm Compost Bin

Hannibal

Members
I was doing some research on patio furniture and stumbled across this plan. I figured I would share for those of you who might be looking for another option for housing your worms. Looks fairly simple to build, just not sure how it compares in price to the store bought ones out there.

Enjoy
http://ana-white.com/2011/03/worm-compost-bin

ddavila06

Members
nice! i would use the top part with some sort of plant myself, and the screen hopefully would keep most roots down. the worms and castings can fall through the metal wiring? i would also use treated wood, that might get attacked by termites or rot quickly..

Localzoo

Board of Directors
nice! i would use the top part with some sort of plant myself, and the screen hopefully would keep most roots down. the worms and castings can fall through the metal wiring? i would also use treated wood, that might get attacked by termites or rot quickly..

No treated wood you will kill the worms I believe there is a form of cyanid in the wood.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chriscoli

Administrator
Cyanide shouldn't be used anymore, but now they use copper. Not as scary but still a heavy metal.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ddavila06

Members
No treated wood you will kill the worms I believe there is a form of cyanid in the wood.

i see treated wood used to separate gardens all the time :(
oh well, i need to separate a section of my garden. not to hijack this thread but what do you suggest. i was going to go shop this weekend actually... i rent so cheap is important. i want to grow tomatoes and cuccumbers perhaps something else :lol:

dogofwar

CCA Members
I farm my red wigglers in nested 18g (I think) rubbermaid bins....with small holes in the bottom of the inside bin to allow water to drain. A couple of small flowerpots on the bottom of the outer one allows water to drain...

Treated wood is not good around food (or indoors)...

Matt

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Use untreated it decomposes but really slow. Wood decomposes when it goes from wet to dry etc etc if it stays wet it shouldn't decompose as fast same as if dry. You can use stone or rubble I've seen on Craigslist free stones but you have to haul.

TeamPisces

CCA Members
My wife and I did worm composting indoors with two rubbermaid tubs (one inside the other). The top had holes drilled in the bottom. The bottom tub had one exit hole to release the "tea" when it was tilted. Had to ditch the project because of drainage gnats in the area. Nothing to do with the worms. They are a constant battle.