• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wooooooo Hooooooo !!! P. Typus

longstocking

Members
Well... after a year or so of keeping these guys... P. typus. I have a female holding :) These are the bi-parental mouth brooding catfish from lake tang that I got from Andrew a while back. You know that day we all went to scales after the meeting and you saw me act like a little girl in a candy store !!!!

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO they are so cute ! I can't wait to see them swap back and forth the fry !

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I remember that day. It was right after they opened. Never saw you so excited.
You looked like this. :jumpy:

longstocking

Members
LOL... you should see me now.... I'm like this ... :jumping0045: :jumping0045: :jumping0045: :jumping0045: :jumping0045:

longstocking

Members
I only know of about 6 accounts of these being bred. But I think that's more do to the lack of availability. I believe Daniel has spawned them as well... along with a couple people in Europe and a guy in NY and one other woman that I don't know where she is from. Ron as well.

I'll write an article on them when I raise fry succesfully... from what I've read raising fry can be hard? I need to go buy brine shrimp eggs.

marge618

CCA member
LOL... you should see me now.... I'm like this ... :jumping0045: :jumping0045: :jumping0045: :jumping0045: :jumping0045:[/b]

Yes! I know you have been waiting for this event. Celebrate!
Marge

longstocking

Members
Well, after I sold my wilds to Kurt... I sold all but two f1 P. typus. I wasn't 100% I had a pair ...

Well now I am !!!

The pair is holding :) Kinda cool to raise them up and breed them again. Took a while lol !

These were the babies WAY BACK WHEN !

Fry.jpg

TR are much easier... not nearly as aggressive.

emartin

Members
Sarah any updates with yours?

I can't wait to set up a breeding tank for mine. I bought four, supposedly two pairs at the ECC auction in the fall and then two more from Atlantis, supposedly another male and female.

Right now they are in the 120g with a bunch of malawi fish. I have no idea if I still have all 6 they are like cuckoos when I feed the tank...they pop in and out so it's impossible to keep track of them...

I have seen four of them hang out in twos indicating to me possible pairing...

I'm going to put them in their own 20g-Long or 30g tank likely after I get the racks built in the garage... Then I can finally lift all the rocks, caves, and other crevices in the 120g and figure out how many I still have and if (I doubt it) they spawned at all...

Sarah do you think it would be wise to keep all 6 in the tank? I was thinking of picking 3 random ones to go in the breeding set up and the rest to leave in one of the cichlid tanks.

What was the setup like in the tank you had them in? Mine seem to prefer flakes and frozen over pellets though they will go after pellets... Definitely one of my favorite catfish now...

longstocking

Members
I kept my group in a 20 long but in all honesty I wouldn't do that again. A 30 or 40 gallon would be MUCH better. Even once you have a pair these guys can get mean and do some damage to each other. Once you have two that share a pot remove the rest. Once paired off, still keep them in a largish tank. Do not put them in with other tangs are are aggressive. And even then, do not put them in with mild tangs that you want to breed ( like cyps/paracyps ). The mild tangs won't breed with them in the tank.

Give them a cave... and they wil do their thing. Feed them while they are brooding. They will eat and sawp fry back and forth.

Live food... seems to be a must with most people that have breed them. I did black worms and guppies that I had bred. Or you could set up a tank with cherry red shrimp. Great feeders for all types of tangs and malawi... really any type of fish. Shrimp are a great live food that won't cause bloat and still trigger spawning.

emartin

Members
Do you think a Julidochromis regani pair is too aggressive for them? I like the idea of (if they will get a long) the Julies providing live food for them when they spawn...

And catfish can get bloat? Wasn't aware of that... I thought it was just cichlids LOL

I have thought of breeding guppies again for my Tyrannochromis. I was thinking of setting up like a 20g-long with like 2-3 males and 10 females to breed them and then put the fry in a rubbermaid tank to growout fast...

longstocking

Members
They won't breed with 10+ in a 20 gallon tank. You meed a much larger tank to house all of them and not have aggression issues. I'm not kidding when I say they will beat each other up.... sometimes to the point of death.

My guess is that Julies would either not breed or beat the crap out of them. I haven't tried it but it sounds like a bad idea to me. I think they do best on their own.

No, the catfish won't bloat.... but lets say you put them in with C. horei...the horei ignore the cats :)..... but you do have to worry about bloat with horei. I would stay away from substate spawners if you are going to try different mixes.... Most mouth brooders work well with them :)

emartin

Members
I only really intend to at least breed them once to say I did, and to get more to spread out in tanks...so I guess I'll put them in a 30g breeder or 40g breeder for a few months to give them a shot.

They love to dig caves under rocks in my 120g (even though there's PLENTY of plants, driftwood, clay caves, rock caves, etc...)...makes me nervous to do water changes with the fear I may forget they might be under there and bury them alive LOL...

Thanks for the info I think I'm all set! Not sure if I am going to do the feeders though... I may just feed them flake or pellet as the staple and condition them with frozen/meaty foods and maybe live foods like live small earthworm...