• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WOOHOOOO

Cyianara69

Members
After six months, my first GBR pair finally got it right ......

4e4e68d5-6fa2-471b-ba64-3659152ec092_zps8fb47b36.jpg

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Very cool, Cy. Congrats!

Are they in doctored water or tap?

zackcrack00

Members
I have a friend who is trying to get a pair out of his 6! Congratulations!!! They look beautiful, very appealing to the eye, actually. What have you been feeding them?!

blkmjk

Members
Great job! It is gratifying to get a spawn out of a pair that you have worked hard on. Congratulations

Drew

NO GOOD DEED SHALL GO UNPUNISHED!

Cyianara69

Members
well, dang, the male was eating the fry this morning :( ... the female kept chasing him off ... I tried to catch as many as I could and put in a 1 gallon tank ... we'll see how many survice when I get home from work today ... :(

Plenipotentiary-at-large
In short

"Doctored" refers to reverse osmosis (RO) and/or deionized (DI) water. RO involves fine particulate removal (and chlorine/VOC removal when it utilizes a carbon stage), and DI pulls out minerals/metallic ions. Sort of like manufacturing artificial rain water and in many cases possibly/probably purer given the amount of pollution from coal plants suffusing the atmosphere east of the Mississippi. Used for New World species subject to/needful of much purer water than African/lake species where salts tend to accumulate resulting in higher pH and hardness. Requires restoration of trace minerals (calcium and magnesium at a minimum) to water before use and is not generally essential for care/spawning of most species. But then maybe you knew this already...

AquaStudent

Members
Congratulations! Hopefully the fry will be there when you get back from work. I don't think the male will be able to eat them now at least :D

Those are awesome pictures. I really like the first one! Wish you were able to get it with your "good" camera. It's really well timed!