• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wondering

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I have been wondering what it is about Neolamprologus Tetracanthus that nobody keeps them. Are they the Convict of the Tang world?. Are they too easy to breed.

I never see them in stores.
Never see them on lists.
Never see them on Aqua Bid.(well almost.)
Never see them on BAP reports.

Just wondering.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I saw them regularly on lists and in LFS in California, so maybe it's just local.

They're not everybody's cup of tea (not super colorful, aggressive, predatory, get to 8") because they're big and mean, but I've had several over the years. I bred them a couple of times and seem to remember losing at least a couple to jumping out.

If you're breeding them and LFS around here can't get them from their suppliers, then you've got a market for them.

Heck, bring a couple of bags to the next meeting and I might even take some :)

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I had not been pulling the fry and they were eating them.
I pulled some a couple weeks ago and they seem to be doing okay. Real small.
Right now both females are guarding and the male visits both...lol Lucky guy.
Not sure if I am going to pull anymore till I see if these grow up. Not that much room.

dogofwar

CCA Members
No worries - just wanted to let you know that there's at least one member of the TANFA (tetracanthus are nice fish association)!

PS I'm also a fan of "convicts" and have a couple of hundreds gallons dedicated to several varieties (HRPs, wild "siquia" from Lake Nicaragua, wild ones from Honduras and Costa Rica, etc.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pat Kelly @ Apr 3 2008, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I had not been pulling the fry and they were eating them.
I pulled some a couple weeks ago and they seem to be doing okay. Real small.
Right now both females are guarding and the male visits both...lol Lucky guy.
Not sure if I am going to pull anymore till I see if these grow up. Not that much room.

[/b]

They are great looking fish. Never kept them before but after the move I should have an additional 200-300 gallons of water set up. At least two of those tanks are going to be plant farms but I havent decided what to do with the rest. Might be interested in keeping these in a species only tank. Cant wait for the meeting this month as I hope the presentation helps me as I prepare to move and set up everything again. Want to do it right the first time as I go into the space.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Keeping tetracanthus in a planted tank would look sweet! Mine never really dug much (mostly patrolled around their PVC tube "cave").

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Robert Peterson @ Apr 3 2008, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
They are great looking fish. Never kept them before but after the move I should have an additional 200-300 gallons of water set up. At least two of those tanks are going to be plant farms but I havent decided what to do with the rest. Might be interested in keeping these in a species only tank. Cant wait for the meeting this month as I hope the presentation helps me as I prepare to move and set up everything again. Want to do it right the first time as I go into the space.[/b]

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
My females seem to move the gravel alot around the pots that they hold the fry in.
I guess I will pull some more fry. What the heck...lol
Will be quite a while before they are ready though.
One group was wigglers yesterday.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Yes Bobby, I knew you would say that.
I know I posted this on the forum somewhere but what the heck.
I need to take more. Yes. No time.

1207a.jpg

Thanks for the photos. It's nice to see a picture of what you are talking about, when you are talking about it. Yeah, that's what I meant to say...I think. :confused0083:

dogofwar

CCA Members
Please don't put that picture on the bag of fish that you bring to the auction. People will want to bid on it :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pat Kelly @ Apr 3 2008, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

1207a.jpg
[/b]

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
lol Bobby.... :rolleyes:

Dogowar, and thats a female. The male is bigger and better looking but wont let me photograph him... He will, however, bite my hand if I put it in tank.

lol

kaj41354

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Apr 3 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Please don't put that picture on the bag of fish that you bring to the auction. People will want to bid on it :)[/b]

Too late --You should know by now that we are all lurking and watching everyones BAP reports just so we can see what might be coming down the road in the auctions ---it's so much fun to plan ahead and then totally screw up a plan by yelling "OH YEAH" one too many times during the auction.......

marge618

CCA member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pat Kelly @ Apr 3 2008, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

1207a.jpg
[/b]

Oh, what a beauty. I didn't know they were so fine. Thanks for the pictures, now I know why you are interested in these fish!

Later,
Marge

longstocking

Members
This is why... they make HORRIBLE community tank fish. Too mean and big !

Now if you want to put them in a species only tank.... they do great !