• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wolf tank

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've seen Hoplias in action in Uruguay. Your 265g will be just about right for one.

True Monsters...

Matt

Thai

Members
This one will feed on anything, he's only about 6" now and mean as can be, he was in a 55 with a Rd growout and the rd pushed him too far one night and he took two chunks out of it killing it...good thing is this is just a malabaricus and should only get about 16" tops

Owens

Members
Looks like you got you're tiered setup done!

Sent from my VS840 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dogofwar

CCA Members
Fishbase lists them to 55 cm which is about 22".

They have a really wide range and array of colorations. The one that we (meaning Felipe and Pedro) seined up in the Rio Yi was MONSTROUS - every bit of 2' and probably 6" wide!

Matt

I know aimara get very big but I've never seen a malabaricus over 16" in aquaria

AquaStudent

Members
That's a beast of a fish. He'd be a joy to watch in your upcoming 265 (if I read that correctly). That's a monster tank!

My question, how do you get your substrate to stand vertically like that? Whenever I try that gravity makes all the sand collapse. You must share your secret! Anti-gravity would be the key to explaining why we have observations of the universe expanding at an increasing rate! :p

Thai

Members
That's a beast of a fish. He'd be a joy to watch in your upcoming 265 (if I read that correctly). That's a monster tank!

My question, how do you get your substrate to stand vertically like that? Whenever I try that gravity makes all the sand collapse. You must share your secret! Anti-gravity would be the key to explaining why we have observations of the universe expanding at an increasing rate! :p

Superglue!

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Is there anything that can be kept with those guys? I've heard that even the same-sized fish will get chunks taken out by wolves.

[YT]G1Nsr5SP954[/YT]

Thai

Members
I've seen them in community tanks with other monster fish, for the most part the wolf is pretty docile, the only time my wolf showed aggression was when my red devil went after him, the wolf took chunks out of him

http://youtu.be/ZAQdngI28jI

Last edited:

Thai

Members
Also that video is of hoplias aimara, they get much bigger and cost a lot more than malabaricus (common wolf)

dogofwar

CCA Members
I wouldn't keep a big wolf with anything that I would care went missing or was torn to pieces. Kind of like an African Lungfish...

We collected a bunch of them in Uruguay and unless housed individually the larger ones would eat the smaller ones (and anything else). Like a 3" wolf fish will eat a 2.5" wolf fish. Or a 1" one will eat another 1" one!

What's interesting is that we collected both Hoplias malabaricus and lacerdae in Constituction (off of the Rio Uruguay) in Western Uruguay. Lacerdae gets to about 3' long (!) while malabaricus gets to ~2'. If you look at the gills from the bottom of the fish, the gill plates come together for malabaricus and are straight for lacerdae (or maybe it's the other way around). Otherwise, they're pretty much indestinguishable otherwise (and I'm sure interbreed).

The hobby has decided that H. lacerdae is the holy grail and worth hundreds (thousands!) of dollars. Folks spent a lot of time looking at the bottoms of wolf fish to try to pick out H. lacerdae to bring back. And in the end most of them ate each other along the way ;)

I brought back a baby last trip and (my own fault) it jumped out...

Matt