• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Will all my fry survive?

Jmoore

Members
I am going on vacation next week for 6 days, and am wondering if my benga fry will survive without food. They are more than a month old, and get fed twice a day.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ading522

Members
hmmmm...better get an automatic feeder and do a water change before leaving.. not sure about your fry, but i think they should be fine.. maybe minimal to zero loses the very most..

Ading522

Members
Well.. maybe they will be fine.. but i would put an automatic feeder..they are fry after all, and maybe their tolerance to hunger or no food is smaller compared to the adults..

CichlidOWNR

Members
Just got back from vacation with the same feeding question. I ended up getting an eheim automatic feeder. Programmed it for one feeding per day. I kept the amount small. Make sure you do test runs before leaving. I use NLS pellets and had to do multiple adjustments and cleanings since more seem to be released than I expected. Worked well with no losses. My fry were about a month old as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ading522

Members
Just got back from vacation with the same feeding question. I ended up getting an eheim automatic feeder. Programmed it for one feeding per day. I kept the amount small. Make sure you do test runs before leaving. I use NLS pellets and had to do multiple adjustments and cleanings since more seem to be released than I expected. Worked well with no losses. My fry were about a month old as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

nice! i am gonna be leaving for vacation soon as well, and well.. last time my mom ended feeding the fish for me.. had to put sticky notes all over the place.. lol.. but i think i am gonna go with the automatic feeders.. seen some on ebay for less than $15.. but i don't know about getting those.. anyone with experience getting non branded auto feeders?

mchambers

Former CCA member
I have not tried the no name feeders. If you use those, test carefully to make sure they don't dispense too much.

I really like the Eheims, but you have to be patient to pay less than $20 on eBay. The Fish-Mate brand is also nice, because it has 14 compartments, so you can feed once a day with exactly as much food as you want.

Ading522

Members
I have not tried the no name feeders. If you use those, test carefully to make sure they don't dispense too much.

I really like the Eheims, but you have to be patient to pay less than $20 on eBay. The Fish-Mate brand is also nice, because it has 14 compartments, so you can feed once a day with exactly as much food as you want.

i am going to buy the hydor feeder.. would like to test it out..yes, it does seem really painstaking to watch out for eheims that may go under $20.. :) but i think its worth it since they sell for more..

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I have 4 of the Eheim auto feeders. I paid more than $20 for them new, but didn't use them very long. Willing to sell for the right offer...

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Automatic feeders are a smart choise, neighbors always overfeed, I left for 2 weeks and I asked a neighbor to feed the fish in my 125 (wich before I left was crystal clear because I did a 75% water change), and guess what, when I came back the tank looked like coffee, this was over a month ago and most of the fish in that tank are still over wheight even though I've been feeding them extremely sparingly ever since I came back. Unless your neighbor or friend keeps similar fish that you keep and takes good care of them, automatic feeders are the way to go. In my opinion automatic feeders are god's gift to fish keepers.

zackcrack00

Members
I use medicine cups to put out food portions, and tell my mom's boyfriend to feed one after he turns on the light every day.