• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wich do you like and why

fishman13

Members
South American's
-Dwarf
-Discus
-Apistos
-Angels
-Acara
-Severum
-Festivus

African's
-Peacocks
-Mbunas
-Hasplos
-Tangs
-Victorians

Non Cichlids
-Tetras
-Livebearers
-Catfish
-Danios
-Minnows

Me personaly, I love
AFRICANS. Especialy-
-Peacocks
-Mbunas

South Americans-
German Blue Ram
Angel Fish
Disscus-BTW- i am in the market for some. Juvies of corse

So which do you love and why. You can have more than one and feel free to add some species.:D:D:D:D:D

verbal

CCA Members
South American's
Me personaly, I love
AFRICANS. Especialy-
-Peacocks
-Mbunas

South Americans-
German Blue Ram
Angel Fish
Disscus-BTW- i am in the market for some. Juvies of corse

So which do you love and why. You can have more than one and feel free to add some species.:D:D:D:D:D

I tend to keep a pretty broad variety, especially of cichlids. Although I think I like plecos almost as much as cichlids. Currently I am keeping mainly malawi and apistos.

I recommend holding off on discus. Work on getting Blue Rams and/or Angels breeding as a "practice fish". There are so many varieties of angels they might end up distracting you from your goal. Once you are breeding(spawning and raising) rams or angels, then you might be ready to attempt discus.

It is not so much that you have to be an expert to keep discus, but that they require special care(high temps, lots of water changes and good food). If you are breeding a fish with similar requirements you should be able to meet these needs.

rich_one

Members
I'm more of a Central American cichlid kinda guy... Vieja, Herichthys, Cichlisoma, Amphilophus, Parachromis, Cryptoheros (really starting to dig these guys).

-Rich

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
While I used to be pretty exclusively Malawi, I've branched out a bunch in the last year. So I'm sort of all over the place.

You gotta love the color and excitement of a Malawi tank, plus the fact you can mix and match species if you're judicious. Nothing like a tank full of 8"+ haps imo. Few other genres in this hobby where fish that big can coexist without bloodshed.

For Tangs, I have a troph tank, a rock dweller setup, a shellie tank and a featherfin/Cyp tank. The featherfins are probably my favorites now, but that changes pretty regularly.

For new worlds, the 150 A. hecklii/S. daemon South American tank is getting more impressive and interesting every day. A big plus of new world setups is the ability to add all sorts of cats, tetras and other non-cichlids. Then there's the Parachromis... I have a feeling that all hell's gonna break loose real soon in their tank (and looking forward to it, lol).

My only centrals are rainbow cichlids - they're gorgeous, but haven't started spawning yet. Looking forward to observing this behavior.

Every different niche has it's pros and cons and should be tried out by everyone at some point when they have the opportunity.

I think it is key though, to separate different genres of fish. Otherwise, you miss a lot of natural behavior due to aggression differences.

rich_one

Members
Actually, Tony, parachromis are also central american... just fyi. So the rainbows are not your only centrals! Which parachromis species do you have again?

-Rich

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Actually, Tony, parachromis are also central american... just fyi. So the rainbows are not your only centrals! Which parachromis species do you have again?

-Rich

Oops... duh. I'm an idiot. :rolleyes:

I have the Yellow Head La Ceiba. Was hanging out with Dangerchicken the other day and he was telling me just how mean those suckers get. Told me all about "Chewy," lol.

He said that once his male hit around 4", he and his female killed all of their kin overnight....

Mine's about 4 1/2" now.... :unsure:

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!

I have the Yellow Head La Ceiba. Was hanging out with Dangerchicken the other day and he was telling me just how mean those suckers get. Told me all about "Chewy," lol.

He said that once his male hit around 4", he and his female killed all of their kin overnight....

CHEWY WAS NAMED CHEWY FOR A REASON.......STICK A FINGER IN HIS TANK 1/2" OR SO. :D

fishman13

Members
i have bred angels and rams before. I have bred them for a couple of years. so i almost ready to handel discus

chriscoli

Administrator
I'm a generalist...

I have angels, rainbow cichlids, and a few apistos....
Also, Mbuna, Altos, and a bunch of shellies....
And a few thanks that are <gasp!> non-cichlid.

Maybe Kribs are next to try?

minifoot77

Members

he also can't believe how nice mine are so they aren't that bad unless you mess with them while your bored on the computer :)

Shane

Members
I have to vote catfishes for the win. The only group of fishes found on every continent (except Antarctica) and in every ocean and sea. There are species found at over 10,000 ft in the Himalayas and at the bottom of the ocean. The largest species reaches 15 feet in length while the smallest only .4 inches. Bubblenest spawners, egg scatterers, internal fertilization, mouth brooders, open spawners, cuckoo spawners, cave spawners... only catfishes practice all of these modes of reproduction.
1 out of every 20 vertebrate species in the world is a catfish.
All other groups of fishes have been evolutionary fails by comparison. :)
-Shane

Last edited:

rsretep

Members
just starting to keep some Malawi fish and they are mbuna

Love the CA/SA also, am keeping apistos,geophagus,gymnogeophagus,Hypsophrys nicaraguensis,amphilophus,archoentrus,cryptoheros,australoheros,and Laetacara

But my favs gotta be tanganyikans Neolamprologus,Lamprologus,Julidochromis,Telmatochromis,Altos,and Comps