• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Why not to use cheap heaters..

D-money

Members
As title says, had a top fin heater in my pleco tank. Well it got stuck and the water is 100+:angry3::angry3::angry3:. Total loss:

L114 6"
L134 Female 4"
L90 Wild 5"
L264 4"

3 Lyonsii
3 Cories

Shawnc

Members
That has happened to all of us at one time or another...always a bummer and a loss. Heaters are much better than they used to be but I cant think of a heater manufacturer that has not had batches with failures, even top name heaters. Sorry for your loss

AquaStudent

Members
I like to use multiple smaller heaters so if one of them goes on the fritz the damage may not be as significant...but that's always a hard thing to fix before it's too late.

Sorry to hear about your losses.

chriscoli

Administrator
Oh, so sorry! :(

I recently had that happen in one of my tanks, but I think I caught it on its way up. Tank was in the mid-eighties when I noticed it.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I had a run-away heater wipe out a tank of stuff I brought back from Uruguay and was treating (with heat and salt) for ich. It sucks.

Almost none of my tanks have heaters and in the summer I unplug almost all of the heaters that I do use. Unless it something that really needs heat (e.g. Alcolapia soda lake cichlids), I don't use heaters.

Matt