• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Who Sold Red Top Zebras

zackcrack00

Members
Thre were three auctions for Colbalt Red Top Zebra Cichlids yesterday. I bought the 2 packs of three CRTZs. I'd like whoever sold them to give me a little background info on them if any is availible.

Many thanks!!!

zackcrack00

Members
Yep. I have 6 females. Females at brown, males are white or powder blue. All six of these fish are dark brown and pushing at least four inches. I also vented, and all are DEFINITELY female.

It makes sense that all but one of John's and my fish are females, as these were probably a breeding group that were divided up for auction, and almost completely grown.

Jmoore

Members
It seems pretty hard to find a male, I have looked on the Internet and have only found 1 place selling Metriaclima mbenji and that was jays, and I think these were all of his, I will take your females off your hands, and can give you fry when they breed in hopes it you getting a huge group wit a male

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Leffler817

CCA Members
Email Jay (Cichlids are Special) and see if he has any males or can order you some. If he cannot, Email Dave (dave's fish) with the same question. Perhaps you pay more than you want for the males but in the end you end up with a low per fish average. You got a great deal, or steal, and once they breed you can sell your fry to recoup some of your costs.

I was browsing Dave's list in preparation of next month's group buy and he has two "red top zebras" from different collection points in stock.

You're my buddy, Zack, but honestly... you paid what? Under $10 total for the 6 adults?

Keep that in mind. ;)

$50-$75 worth of fish depending on what store you would have gotten them from (assuming you could even find them in a store), potentially $35 more if you had to have them shipped outside of a group buy.

Cant really ask for much more.

zackcrack00

Members
I am happy with the deal I got on them, but I conacted Jay by phone. He should call back, I left him message. And Hannibal, M. Greshakei and Cobalt Red tops are different fish. The true name for Cobalt Red Tops are Metriaclima Mbenji.

WendyFish

Members
This is a weird species IME. There are a few collection points in the lake with metriaclima that tend to go by that trade name, and then there are tank raised ones that it's unclear what species they really are, probably greshakei but after X generations tank raised it's hard to tell. The dominant male in one of my mbuna tanks is a tank raised one; he's beautiful and he's a fantastically kind dictator who keeps everyone in line, but it's nearly impossible to recognize quite what he is. (No, I wouldn't part with him.)

Anyway... I have seen things labeled "red top zebra" at House of Tropicals that are some sort of red top zebra, but when I got them home I found they did not match my male, and he had no interest in the females. I bought the one that I have at Congressional but have not seen them sold there since (to be fair, I do not get there often).

Good luck finding a boy to keep your ladies company!