• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Who buys fish at the LFS?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Than I am to assume they started it today. The sign at the register said 24hrs for salt and 48 for fresh.

That's good to know, but assumptions can be perilous - have a care.

I'd trade stock if the 3:1 ratio they use at HOT was calculated using their wholesale costs. Applying it to retail costs doubles up their earnings by allowing them to profit on both ends of the deal. At that point it just doesn't feel like much of a deal and I'd rather just give/barter fish away since otherwise I'm essentially trading for something that has itself been marked up around 200%. Would like to think that as paying customers we rate at least the same deal as the people they buy fish from at wholesale who get paid in cash rather than being compensated in inventory at retail prices. Whatever.

Generally more fun trading with fellow fanatics anyway, but if it works for some folks, by all means have at it.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I buy fish at the LFS

Just thought I'd add my support for our LFSs. I live fairly near Tropical Lagoon and shop there, although I haven't seen the need to buy any fish there recently. I like Tropical Fish World a lot, but it's a long drive. House of Tropicals has a great selection of fish. Showcase in Wheaton is not too far from me, and the employees are nice and helpful, so I've bought a few fish there.

At this point, my tanks are quite stable, with lots of fish that are reproducing, so I don't often buy fish. The fish I do buy tend to be unusual or hard to find, so I usually get them at the CCA auction or from Msjinkzd.

I like going to our LFSs and think we should all support them. I'd hate to be left with Petsmart and Petco. (I'm not criticizing the original poster -- I understand the point he was making.)

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Remember... the markup on fish from wholesale prices or even online prices (that we as advanced hobbyists are privy to these days) is not to "line the pockets of evil LFS owners." It's to pay for electricity, rent, insurance, salaries/benefits for their employees, soak up losses in stock, etc. Shoot, rent in some of these places can easily be $5-$10K per month. Imagine how many tetras you have to sell just to pay that one cost!

After all these costs, it's tough to imagine what little can be left over for the owner himself. It's definitely a prospect that would scare me away from getting into the business.

Now that being said...

I try to swing by my LFS (Tropical Fish World) whenever I'm in the area. They always have the a great selection of staple Malawi cichlids and at least a few types of cool Tangs. Their rainbow selection is second to none in the area. From browsing around, their new world stuff seems to be pretty extensive, though I'm not too great at ID'ing stuff.

Whenever I swing by, I always end up taking something home. Jim and his crew do an excellent job at bringing healthy and cool fish to the market at very reasonable prices.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if it were not for the LFS, most of us would not be in the hobby.

fischfan13

Banned
Remember... the markup on fish from wholesale prices or even online prices (that we as advanced hobbyists are privy to these days) is not to "line the pockets of evil LFS owners." It's to pay for electricity, rent, insurance, salaries/benefits for their employees, soak up losses in stock, etc. Shoot, rent in some of these places can easily be $5-$10K per month. Imagine how many tetras you have to sell just to pay that one cost!

After all these costs, it's tough to imagine what little can be left over for the owner himself. It's definitely a prospect that would scare me away from getting into the business.

Now that being said...

I try to swing by my LFS (Tropical Fish World) whenever I'm in the area. They always have the a great selection of staple Malawi cichlids and at least a few types of cool Tangs. Their rainbow selection is second to none in the area. From browsing around, their new world stuff seems to be pretty extensive, though I'm not too great at ID'ing stuff.

Whenever I swing by, I always end up taking something home. Jim and his crew do an excellent job at bringing healthy and cool fish to the market at very reasonable prices.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if it were not for the LFS, most of us would not be in the hobby.

VERY WELL said, Tony.

mscichlid

Founder
Personally, I do enjoy going to a lfs. I find it soothing to go from tank to tank to see what can be discovered. It's exciting to see a species that I don't see online. Buying online can be a stressful endeavor at best. You never know what you are going to get if buying from someone you don't know.

It's gratifying to pick up fish and supplies I need when I want them. Also, getting stock to breed and share with club members is always a plus.

I will always support our brick and mortar businesses. If we don't they will become a thing of the past.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Fair enough - but they're not all equal and can't see that it serves much to pretend they are. It's not like selling fish (or just keeping them for that matter) automatically makes anyone noble and righteous - present company excepted of course.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Perhaps another way of reading Pat's comments is that we should look at LFS, especially LFS that go out of their way to sponsor and support CCA, as part of us vs. adversaries.

In other words, we're all part of the same hobby...and the health of LFS is a pretty good indication of the health of our hobby, overall.

And the health of LFS, if anyone has checked lately, isn't too good.

Congressional Aquarium isn't focused on fish geeks like us. If they were, they'd have gone out of business long ago. Their prices prices (and store) reflect that they sell to more casual fishkeepers in a fairly affluent area. The store is one of the cleanest and most pleasant around. My wife doesn't complain when we go there to look around. And - to their credit - have happily allowed us to post CCA cards on their front counter (note to self: see if they need more).

I primarily go to Tropical Fish World in Gaithersburg, which is a both a solid supporter of CCA (with several employees who are members) and a store that strives to strike a balance between the needs of fish geeks and more casual hobbyists. We've done group buys with them...and they've special ordered stuff for me and other members. They give decent credit for trade ins...discounts to members...they try to stock stuff beyond cookie cutters. They promote the club to customers. We really couldn't ask for much more. That said, rare, wild fish aren't $2 per bag there.

In closing, LFS are a business and must make enough money to operate. If dealing with fish clubs and their members is - or seems like - a constant transaction-by-transaction shakedown, then LFS will be loathe to give discounts or support the club. On the other hand, if members support the stores that go out of their way to support hobbyists / the club, then the relationship will be mutual.

As an aside, I've suggested a program in which we demonstrate how much CCA supports stores by collecting receipts at monthly meetings...tallying them (by store) on a quarterly basis...and sharing the results with (select) stores with whom we're interested in establishing a relationship / discounts / etc. Maybe setting goals with the stores tied to discount levels. I think that quantifying the collective economic impact of CCA could be really powerful...

Matt

mscichlid

Founder
I should have kept my receipts!

CCA proudly supports the aquatic hobby in anyway that is a benefit to its members and any entity that perpetuates the businesses that are associated with keeping fish.

YSS

Members
I bought two nice male orange flame apistos for $14 and a 3.5" discus for $25 at the auction. My kids had so much fun at the auction, they want to come back for more. :) So, I won't have to bribe my kids to come to the meeting from now on. Unfortunately, I know I won't be able to make the next two meetings.

Anyhow, like a few already said, not all LFS are created equal. Some do much better job than others. I haven't been to the TFW, but I know I need to stop by soon.

dogofwar

CCA Members
My daughter loves to come to meetings because of the auctions as well.

Remember also that really nice fish sold for super cheap fish in the auction is something that will go on indefinitely, either... The better the prices good fish go for in our auctions, the more likely people will sell good fish through the auctions... The opposite is true too...

Matt

I bought two nice male orange flame apistos for $14 and a 3.5" discus for $25 at the auction. My kids had so much fun at the auction, they want to come back for more. :) So, I won't have to bribe my kids to come to the meeting from now on. Unfortunately, I know I won't be able to make the next two meetings.

Anyhow, like a few already said, not all LFS are created equal. Some do much better job than others. I haven't been to the TFW, but I know I need to stop by soon.

kewx

Members
Good LFS in the Baltimore area are Exotic Aquatics and Tom's Tropics. We should be supporting the LFS.

Exotic Aquatics
8870 Waltham Woods Road
Baltimore, MD 21234
Exoticaquatics.com

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
I had an appointment in Silver Spring today and I stopped in at Tropical Lagoon. I purchased some mystery snails, fish, and frozen bloodworms. I always try to support LFS (especially the good ones). Even if something is a couple dollars more I'd rather give LFS my hard earned money than a big box store.

illpoet

Members
for sure we've been spoiled by the auctions. i still go to Scales N Tails in Cumberland for all my tubing/food/filter needs. MIke (the owner) is a longtime friend of mine and he has a pretty good selection of fish considering the area. His fish ar always very healthy but anymore i'm leary of buying livestock there anymore mostly bc he can't provide a collection point. i think i've crossed the line into geekiness