• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

White-worm culture

Beeman

Members
I am looking into raising my own live fish food. Does anyone know of a source for a starter culture of white-worms?

chriscoli

Administrator
I've got white worms, if Frank doesn't. They like cool temps, so the cultures aren't really vigorous right now....but they are fantastic during the winter!

Beeman

Members
I've got white worms, if Frank doesn't. They like cool temps, so the cultures aren't really vigorous right now....but they are fantastic during the winter!

How cool Christine, 60's, 50's? I guess the potato cellar would be the obvious domicile?:D If you can part with a small batch, I'd be mighty appreciative. Just looking to kick-start a culture.
Also, do you have any green dragon plecos available? Still interested. I will be at the Sept meeting, so shoot me a PM, and we can work out the details. Many thanks indeed! Barry

chriscoli

Administrator
Hi Barry,

I think 50's and 60's keep them happy. Fridge won't kill them, but is too cold for them to reproduce...mine are happy at 65 (which is what the temp is by the drafty door in the winter). I think they start to stop reproducing in the 70s. I'll bring you a subculture you can try.

There are lots of suggestions for bedding media, but I've been keeping mine in a shoebox filled with coco coir and I feed them really cheap dry (but moistened) kitten kibble. In a pinch, I've also fed them fish food.

Remember, they are really fatty, so not a good staple, but great for conditioning fish for breeding. I especially like them for my frequent spawners to get some extra calories into the females between batches of eggs.

And, as always...this would not be an appropriate food for Mbuna.

(but my Cyprichromis go nuts for them!)

Green Dragons....is 1" including fins too small for you? These guys are excruciatingly slow growers, but I've got a batch that's around that size.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I agree with Christine on using coconut fiber and the temperatures. Mine are happiest in winter when my basement temperatures are in the 60s.

Maybe keep them in your wine cellar, with your fine Bordeaux?

chriscoli

Administrator
Maybe keep them in your wine cellar, with your fine Bordeaux?

Matt, I actually DID consider that! Bruce is a serious oenophile...I totally did check out his wine fridge to see if it would be the right temp for the worms. Turns out its moot because there's not enough room (its a small fridge). I also realized that this might be pushing things a wee bit too far even for such an extraordinarily patient fish-husband! (And with the seal on the door, it might not have enough air for the worms long-term).

mchambers

Former CCA member
Oenophile

Matt, I actually DID consider that! Bruce is a serious oenophile...I totally did check out his wine fridge to see if it would be the right temp for the worms. Turns out its moot because there's not enough room (its a small fridge). I also realized that this might be pushing things a wee bit too far even for such an extraordinarily patient fish-husband!
Good call!

Beeman

Members
I'll take a couple of the wee ones(green dragons that is) off your hands if thats ok by you. I can put them in a 20 with my nano fish for a few years till they reach an 1 1/2" :p Plus that will free up lots of tank space for you as well. A win-win !
And thanks for the advise for the worm culture. Much appreciated. See you at the meeting. Barry