• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

white pimples all over

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Greetings,
There is something not right occurring within my 75 gallon. A couple of days ago, I noticed both EBJDs had white pimple-like growths all over their lips and body. Today, the female EBJD looks better, the male looks worse, and now five other cichlids are showing similar symptoms. The tank has been running since mid-Spring. I have not added any new fish since setting up the tank. The inhabitants were all relocated from another tank of mine before being added to this tank. The tank has a corner mattenfilter as well as a hydro-sponge filter. I change 50-75% of the water weekly.
Water parameters check out like they always do. No signs of aggression are present. Any thoughts as to what this is and how to treat it beyond salt and higher temp?

chriscoli

Administrator
Yeah...I'm not sure what to say, Andrew.....you know your stuff, so if you are unsure what it is.....I certainly don't. :(

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
do you have pics, it might be ich. You should probably add copper and raise the temp. Copper kills all crustations so if you have crabs or cray fish, you should relocate them.

mchambers

Former CCA member
It's because your mattenfilter has become a nitrate factory!

Seriously, the ich hypothesis seems as good as anything

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
It's because your mattenfilter has become a nitrate factory!

Seriously, the ich hypothesis seems as good as anything

With the volume of water being changed as frequently as it is, my nitrates are well below any level of concern.

Definitely not ich. The pimples are far too large and are the wrong shape. Fish are not flashing and are eating normally, with the exception of the male EBJD.

For those who don't know, I managed a well respected lfs for ten years. In that time, I never came across what I am seeing in my tank. I am trying to take pics now, but they are all hiding in the wood. Will try again tomorrow.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Just decided to remove the mattenfilter and clean it. It appeared to be clogged, as the tank looked like it was snowing mulm. This is odd, since the tank received a 75% change last weekend and all looked well. Anyhow, the mattenfilter is now clean, the tank is filling and I have high hopes the the fish will recover soon.

Andrew

Members
Aeromonas and Pseudomonas can have initial symptoms that sound like this. In cichlids it often starts around the face. I would treat with oxytetracycline and NaCl. After the oxytetracycline course I would switch to Melafix to help the sores heal.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Aeromonas and Pseudomonas can have initial symptoms that sound like this. In cichlids it often starts around the face. I would treat with oxytetracycline and NaCl. After the oxytetracycline course I would switch to Melafix to help the sores heal.

Thanks for your input. I checked out images online and none match what I am seeing, though there is great variability in the pics online. I have added the sodium chloride when I changed out 80% of the water and cleaned the sponges (a few minutes ago). Interestingly enough, most of the other cichlids are now displaying to each other. Maybe that means they are not too badly impacted yet. I will go shopping for the oxytetracycline tomorrow.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
If you do a salt dip on one fish and the spots drop off, you will know that the spots are parasites. A salt dip should be equivalent to the salt level in a marine aquarium. The dip time should be around a minute, depending on the size of the fish. But remove the fish immediately and put in back in good water if he quits struggling.
You can let the dip water stand idle a few minutes and then search the bottom to see what kinds of parasites came off. The parasites tend to die quickly but if you put them back in fresh water quickly they can revive depending on the kind and size.

Last edited: