• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Which RO Unit?

Becca

Members
Given my weird pH creep, my desire to eventually keep (and breed) licorice gouramies, and Jeremy's goal of keeping discus, I think I'll be asking for an RO Unit this holiday season.

Right now we have a total of about 200 gallons running. Eventually I'd like to add a 125 and maybe a few more small tanks for setting up pairs/growing out fry (if I ever manage to pull any before they get eaten - LOL), etc.

I know that grow-out tanks will need daily changes - currently we do 20-30% a week, depending on the stocking, conditions, sensitivity of the fish.

I know, I know, slackers.

What recommendations does everyone have regarding what RO unit to ask for? Should be something on the easy end in terms of installation, use, and monitoring. For price range I'm thinking under $200.

I would get at least a 50 gpd unit. Probably don't need one with a resin post filter. Besides the RO figure on having a 50 gallon storage barrel to go with it. Use the RO to fill it up and then you can pump the water out of the barrel to your tanks whenever you need it.

Andy

Jmty

Members
55 gallon drum to collect rain water put you exactly at ph6 see barrel's on line for $40
and the water spout adapter cost you probably $25 if you want can send you pic. of mine.

Becca

Members
55 gallon drum to collect rain water put you exactly at ph6 see barrel's on line for $40
and the water spout adapter cost you probably $25 if you want can send you pic. of mine.

I am not permitted rain barrels at my current residence because they will (somehow) make the neighborhood look worse than it already does. Also - some have had issues with the water that runs off their roofing actually causing a pH spike.

Does anyone have a brand of RO unit they'd specifically recommend?

daninmd

Members
I am not permitted rain barrels at my current residence because they will (somehow) make the neighborhood look worse than it already does. Also - some have had issues with the water that runs off their roofing actually causing a pH spike.

Does anyone have a brand of RO unit they'd specifically recommend?

Becca, I had the 75 GPD 5 stage RO system from bulk reef supply (BRS) when I was running a saltwater setup with hard and soft coral. probably don't need a 5 stage for a freshwater setup.

I would go with this 4 stage setup for $170: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-4-stage-value-plus-ro-di-system-75gpd.html

BRS sells the replacement filters and its pretty cheap, I think around $15 or so for the filters. The system I linked also includes an in-line dual TDS meter so you can keep an eye on your DI media to make sure its working. I ran my for 8 months and TDS never went about 3 on the output. you could push yours further on a freshwater setup. the meter measures TDS before and after it goes thru the DI resin. I really liked my setup and it was really easy to install. It came with about 3 different options for setting up the system. I ended up just using the hose big adapter for mine, but they include a copper line tap, sink faucet adapter, etc with the system. they also include very long lines so you can connect the discharge to a drain nearby.

how is your water pressure??? if you don't have around 40 psi the RO setup doesn't work real well and might need a booster pump. I was on a well and the pressure thru the system was around 30 psi and it took a long time to make water, probably was close to making around 50 gallons per day, not 75. they benefit from higher pressures, and will result in less wasted water too

Another option that is very popular is airwaterice.com...and I think they might be local too. not sure.

make sure to get a food grade storage tank as well. BRS sells a float switch kit that you can install in the RO system and storage tank so that it keeps the tank full and cuts off when full. I learned that lesson the hard way, came home to about 30 gallons of RO water in my basement because I forgot to turn off the water.:mad:

Becca

Members
Dan - Are there alternative uses for the waste-water? I suppose I could collect that, too, for cleaning, watering plants, whatever...