• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Which Filter Would You Buy, and Why?

Which filter would you buy?

• Fluval FX5

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • Eheim Professional Wet/Dry 2229

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters

Spine

Members
I have several Ehiem filters that I bought used. One was already 8 years old when I bought it and that was 10 years ago it's still kicking, no problems. They are built to last.

Last edited:

rich_one

Members
Wow... right now, the Fluval is kicking arse 13 to 1. I honestly did not expect that. Even more surprising is that I posted this same poll on multiple fish-related boards that I haunt... including one where I am a mod... and so far, the Fluval continues to kick arse.

I really find that surprising!

-Rich

ingg

Members
Wow... right now, the Fluval is kicking arse 13 to 1. I honestly did not expect that. Even more surprising is that I posted this same poll on multiple fish-related boards that I haunt... including one where I am a mod... and so far, the Fluval continues to kick arse.

I really find that surprising!

-Rich

Ask Diana about Fluvals Rich. :)

I'm a fan of Eheims when I can afford them, and Renas when I can't. Want to try the Marinelands.

I know way too many people that know how to "repair" and replace parts on Fluvals for me to actually buy one to be honest. Scared me off of them before trying them.

I should say I don't know if it is a reflection of the sheer number of them used, or a reflection on the build quality itself - but the fact remains that a whole lotta people know how to cob pieces from multiple Fluvals together to make one workable filter, something I've never heard of the need for with Eheims (bar Eccos, which isn't the same quality as the classics or the high end ones from what I have been able to gather).

rich_one

Members
Ask Diana about Fluvals Rich. :)

I'm a fan of Eheims when I can afford them, and Renas when I can't. Want to try the Marinelands.

I know way too many people that know how to "repair" and replace parts on Fluvals for me to actually buy one to be honest. Scared me off of them before trying them.

I should say I don't know if it is a reflection of the sheer number of them used, or a reflection on the build quality itself - but the fact remains that a whole lotta people know how to cob pieces from multiple Fluvals together to make one workable filter, something I've never heard of the need for with Eheims (bar Eccos, which isn't the same quality as the classics or the high end ones from what I have been able to gather).
appreciate the input, Dave! as always, I have much respect for your opinions in this hobby.

so... now I'm back to the eheim... or... maybe a custom built, wet/dry... hmmm...

rich_one

Members
well... I got a great deal on the Fluval (thanks, Mark!), so I went with the FX5... here's to hoping it is the solution. I'd hate for it to disappoint... now, to put it to the test...

-Rich

bertolli

Members
No problem Rich, thanks for helping me pay off my credit card bill :D It was a silly impulse buy and like they say life got in the way and I ended up settling for a 75 instead of a 125 and of course had no use for the FX5, glad I could help out. Put up some pics of the tank when you get it running!

lonlangione

Members
All the talk about flow rates prompts me to ask these questions.

1.) How do they figure flow rates? With filter media or with out? The slimmer a filter canister the deeper the filter media, hence slowing water flow down more than if the canister is fat.
2.) As the filter media gets dirty, will the motor dog down to try to keep up the flow rate or will it handle the load of, well the load.
3.) What is the warranty on the motors of each unit?
4.) How are the intake tubes made? Will they clog up fast or will they stay clear of debris build up?

Just a few thoughts that crossed my mind reading the posts.

Lonny

bertolli

Members
Lonny,
I suspect you're not a fluval fan based on your post. I know one of the big complaints with FX5's is the ribbing in the tubes which tend to clog and are a pain to clean. I have never actually used any of the filters so I can't really provide any valuable input but your questions seem to suggest that the shining reputation the FX5 carries is based simply on opinion, not facts. I am by no means "calling you out" or anything, just by reading what you have said I wonder which filter you stand behind and why...

lonlangione

Members
I don't have any canisters right now. I have always been an Eheim fan. I really don't know much about the newer ones. I would love to know how they come up with the flow rates. It's like buying a car that says 35 mpg and not really ever getting 35 mpg.
Right now I don't have any tanks over 30 gallons set up. And being "old school" I use box filters in them, so as I said, I'm not really up on the filters being talked about here. When I had my pet shop I sold eheims, but that was 20 years ago. I'm finding the this thread to be very informative.

Lonny

bertolli

Members
I was reading on C-F a while back about filter flow rates and someone said that the flow rate is determined without media, after media and clogging like you said I'm sure the flowrate is cut down somewhere around 1/3. Thinking about that motivates me to not neglect my filters. I've always wanted to own an eheim because they do seem to have the most satisfied customers and easiest use/maintenance, all my current filters are marineland and aquaclear. I'm happy with both brands, no problems so far.

bertolli

Members
yea those things are in pet stores just collecting dust, I wonder when theyre gonna start dropping the prices.

rich_one

Members
yeah... I was shocked by that price... wow. No friggin' way.

I tried to be an aquaclear guy... so many people on so many forums like that filter, and I have tried it many times. but when its all over with, imo, they tend to be noisy, because the lids always end up vibrating, and I have to weigh them down with something so they don't, and they seem very fragile... I have long been a marineland guy, and I love the penguin and emperor filters... they have never let me down, on any tank, really.

this is my first fluval... so I am excited and nervous all at the same time! LOL...

-Rich

rich_one

Members
installation of the Fluval FX5 went flawless... very clear directions, and the easiest canister I have ever installed... no fighting and struggling to get tubing to fit. the tube cut extremely easily, and once you have it set up, plug the thing in, and bam... it primes right up, no problem, all by itself.

it is early... but so far, I am rather impressed!

-Rich

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I am currently running three fx5s (with a 4th in its box), a 204 and 4 404/405s. I have never had a problem with fluvals other than the impellar cover on the 404 cracking after a year or so. I consider it unfortunate normal wear and tear.