• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Which Filter Would You Buy, and Why?

Which filter would you buy?

• Fluval FX5

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • Eheim Professional Wet/Dry 2229

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters

rich_one

Members
I have it narrowed down to two choices, and I have pasted links to the info and specs for both. I'm stuck, but leaning towards the Fluval. Thought I would check the braintrust here.

I'm sure many of you have other filters you prefer over both... nonetheless, this is where things have led me to this point. So please vote, and feel free to comment. Thanks!

Link to Fluval: http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/971/product.web

Link to Eheim: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... irculation

A little about the tank setup (see my Discus III thread in the Cichlids Forum): Will be a125 gallon (7 ft. long) discus tank... barebottom, but with manzanita driftwood stump/brances w/ anubias tied to it. 5 to 8 adult discus are planned. maybe a BN pleco... but that will be about it, initially, anyway.

I am torn, in particular, between the technology of each filter... the Fluval has a computer chip that is supposed to help prevent it from becoming a nitrate factory. The Eheim has wet/dry capabilities... which can only improve oxygen levels in the tank... nice, given it will be at warmer temps.

Okay... so, vote and express your opinions... thanks!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I just purchased an FX5 off ebay. My choice was based off water flow and cost, predominantly. I have ehiems running on my tanks, and I am very satisfied with the performance, but to get equal turnovers from an ehiem, you are looking at spending in the $400 range. I'll let you know how I like the FX5 soon.

By the way, the FX5 from ebay is $220 delivered without bio media.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I am a Fluval guy. I own three 304's. I was planing to buy a FX5 for my 90 gallon but I just got a free Eheim Classic 2217 haven't tried it yet.

Jumbie

Members
I just put an Fx5 on one of my tanks and I have to say I love that filter unit! I was looking at the Eheim Classic 2217 but I went with the Fx5 because of its flow rate. I have also heard great things from about the Fx from different owners. This filter unit does have a comp. chip and it turns on and off daily to release trapped air in the chambers. (I thought that was cool lol). You would not make a mistake with what ever filter you choose between the two. I'm Sorry I don’t have any input on the Ehime 2217. I hope this helps.

YSS

Members
Voted for FX5. I have one. However, I must I say it's kinda pain to maintain. My preference is Renas. I have Rena XP4, Fuval FX5, and Fluval 405 on my 265G tank, and I like XP4 the best.

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
I've been a fan of fluval cannisters for years and have nothing bad to say about them at all. That said, I broke down and bought my first eheim filter recently (Pro3 2073) and I've gotta say... it's an amazing piece of equipment. It's sitting within 3 feet of me and the only way I can tell it's running is by putting my hand on top of it and I can feel the slightest vibration. (I have it running on an established tank, it's in the floor in front of the tank, not in a cabinet or anything. Right out in the open on the living room floor, it's waiting for me to set up the tank that it will be used on) The unit is just amazing. My fluval's aren't necessarily loud, but you can hear them running. I've heard people bragging on eheim's for years, about how long they've had them running with no malfunctions. I always thought they were overpriced. All I can say is after getting this baby, I see why they are so popular. It's obvious when you take it out of the box that it was made to last. I'm sure if you get the fx5 you'd be happy as there are many people that love them. I just wanted to chime in and share just how impressed I am with my new eheim and I know you would be too if you decided to get one. Either way, you'll have a good filter tho ;)

dogofwar

CCA Members
I don't like canisters. Too hard to keep clean.

For the money, I'd get a wet dry. Or build a dump filter (like a wet dry except above the tank).

Matt

chris_todd

Members
Here's a comparison that was done. Some interesting reading.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7080

Wow, 5 out of 6 of his FX5's failed in less than two years? Kinda blows the "costs half as much" value proposition.

Do Eheims *ever* fail? Aside from an occasional comment about some of the older versions being a little annoying to prime, I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about Eheim reliability. And it's dead quiet and consumes half the power - sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Note that I don't actually own any Eheims, I'm cheap, and have all Rena Filstars (two XP1s, an XP2 and an XP3), and while I haven't had any problems with them (yet), they've only been in service a year and a half.

iamzrad

Members
I run Eheim's and Rena's.
Great flow and turnover, plus they are relatively easy to clean.
I've had my Eheim 2217 for over 6 years and it has yet to give me any problems. Plus both brands are really quiet.

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
Do Eheims *ever* fail? Aside from an occasional comment about some of the older versions being a little annoying to prime, I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about Eheim reliability. And it's dead quiet and consumes half the power - sounds like a no-brainer to me.

The reputation of reliability was the reason I decided to go with an eheim this time. I've been in the hobby for 10yrs and I just don't recall hearing people complain about eheim's or having trouble with them. People were bragging on eheim's when I got in the hobby and they still have a very faithful following. I hope mine runs as long as some of the claims that I've heard people make about how long they've had one running. ;)

Up until this thread, I have been a proponent of Fluval's for many yrs. I have recommended them to numerous people because of the price. I got my fluval 404 from Big Als for $85 a very long time ago. It ran for 1 1/2 yrs and then got packed away in it's box and was still working great. I got it out and set it up again in Nov 08 and it's still running. Doesn't prime as easily as it once did, but it's still pumping. I can't say Fluvals are bad filters and I won't.

Are the Eheim's worth the extra money, from what I've seen so far absolutely. This thing is like the mercedes benz of cannisters.

Now watch mine blow up and flood the living room :wacko:

Like I said earlier, either way you'll have a good filter I'm sure.

I had two Marineland C-360s and one C-220 leak significantly on me all within a year. One leak damaged a wood floor. I'm a Fluval gal now all the way!!

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I had two Rena XP3s on my 110. I have a Fluval 304(?) on my 45 and had a Magnum on my old 55 setup. Of the three, I like the XP3 the best, followed by the Fluvals. The Magnums are trash.

Sorry I can't give more input on those two filters specifically. I am moving towards sponges and/or Aquaclears on my small tanks and DIY trickle filters on my big tanks.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
IVE HAD MY FLUVAL NOW 4 YEARS AND I LOVE IT. IM ALSO A WD USER AND I CAN BUILD AN QUITE A CHEAP YET VERY POWERFUL AND EFFECTIVE FILTRATION SYSTEM.