• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Which canister would you choose for a 50 gallon tank?

I broke down and am upgrading my cube to a 50 gallon so I can keep my rainbow babies for a while longer! :)

Question about filter. I currently have a Marineland 220 running. It's not quite enough, I don't think. Which of these two would you get instead:

Marineland C-360 or
Fluval 305??

kewx

Members
I have a FX 2 on my 55gal tank with discus and Rams. It's been great. I think it's rated for up to 75 gals.

I know folks like their Eheim's, but I'd prefer to stay with the two canisters I"m familiar with. I can usually get a Fluval cheaply via E-bay and am vying for a 305 right now for $120 ... we'll see what happens.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
German engineering every time

A patient and unrepentant lurker can snipe an Eheim 2026 (with media - at $10/liter just for generic lava, not having media included adds about $50 to the total price) for around $100 on Ebay, a little more for the larger 2028.

I've also got two 2027s (both acquired off Craig's for less than $50-75), Eheim's just way too cool wet/dry with its intermittent flow system (siphons water in until the canister is full before expelling it thus allowing more 'reaction' time for bacteria to serve their metabolic function).

Eheims are silent, absolutely solid and with sponge pre-filters about as low-maintenance as it gets. They also have an aesthetically superior design in pleasing shades of green but if you'd rather have filters that look like toxic waste canisters (or small trash cans/shop vacs as is the case with FX5s), Fluval is the ticket.

Alright, was that sufficiently elitist to alienate all the Fluval owners? Sure they're more than adequate, they seem to command the center of the market for canister filters, can't imagine that's purely accidental.

mrkillie

Members
I broke down and am upgrading my cube to a 50 gallon so I can keep my rainbow babies for a while longer! :)

Question about filter. I currently have a Marineland 220 running. It's not quite enough, I don't think. Which of these two would you get instead:

Marineland C-360 or
Fluval 305??

You could have gotten the C-360 last weekend at That Fish Place really cheap in their silent auction for charity. I think they had 2 that went for about $75 each. I got 2 Emperor 400s for $20 and $23.

I have a Fluval 405 and 305 on both of my current tanks (45 and 58 gallon), and a C-220 on my 30 cube. Anyway, I was just curious if any would really liked the c-360. I had them once upon a time, when they were having serious leaking problems, and gave up on them. Anyway, I just got a Fluval 305 for $110 on e-bay with free shipping, so I can't beat that. I'll use that and the 220 on my soon-to-be-set up 50 gallon. I'll be fine . . . certainly didn't want to start the battle of the filterrs with my question!