• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

where to buy black obsidian and other rocks

cholile

Members
I've been to Irwin Stone in rockville before, but they don't have a few rocks I'm looking for. Anyone know a landscaping retail yard or similar place where I can locate the rocks listed below?

Black Obsidian

River Rock (gray, flat, rounded, with a diameter of 3" to 6")

Volcanic rock

Jumbie

Members
I got mine from a place off of Dorsey Rd. in Glen Burnie MD next to a lumberyard. I can’t remember the name but I could give you the address when I get home today. I was trying to get to House of Tropical and when I got of 97 and was going in the wrong direction. I had notice a lumberyard sing and I needed to get some wood that day to build my rack system in my fish room so I decided to stop. I notice right next to the lumberyard they had a Rock yard and I got a bunch of rocks for almost all my tanks.

fweed

Members
I use to work at Irwin Stone in rockville and frederick. If you go there and look at the meican beach pebbles or the canadian beach pebbles you will find some really nice looking stone. The meican beach pebbles come in bigger sizes also. Just tell Big Dave to point in the right direction and can help you.

cholile

Members
Thanks. I've been to Irwin Stone in Rockville and I do not remember any black mexican beach pebble. Just gray river rock. But I'll check again.

If I can find somewhere with dark brown lava-like rock and black obsidian that'd be awesome!

longstocking

Members
I have some black obsidian....

I got it from aquarium depo.... well many years ago when it was called something else.

I won't sell mine...but they always had some up there. You have to sand the edges though.... they are way too sharp for fish.

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
Country Nursery on 198 about 10 min from the meeting has LARGE black obsidian. The sign was ripped so I didn't see the price but all the other gib rocks were going for .25 cent a pound. Aquarium Depot doesn't have any.

cholile

Members
thanks guys. very helpful. i'll have to see if they can break it up since i'm more interested in some 6" to 8" and smaller sized pieces.