• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What's your favorite Eheim Canister?

chriscoli

Administrator
I'm looking at my choices for Eheim canister filters and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed....I see classic series, pro series, advanced, and ECCO. I've been to their website and looked at them but I'm still pretty unsure of which to get....

I'd like to hear your opinions, experiences, and please tell me WHY you like or don't like them.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
I've been running a classic 2213 since the 80s. Changed the o-ring once and the impeller shaft once. Mine's the version from before the media basket.

Blaise

chriscoli

Administrator
Any idea if today's Classic version is comparable to how they've been built historically? I'm attracted to the classic because of the price and history of reliability. But then again, I used to have some awesome old-school Fluval canisters....and my Fluvals today don't hold a candle to how my old ones performed.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Can't speak to newer models. OTOH, haven't heard anyone griping about them either.

Blaise

mscichlid

Founder
My favorite is the 2217 model. I'm running my C02 reactor with it. I use it in conjunction with a Marineland 360 on my 120.

I like it because of the quick disconnects, and the ease of maintenance. The flow does diminish if the top pad is dirty. Rinsing out or replacing it fixes that.

I also like the Marineland series. Genuine workhorse. Sometimes it is a bi t c h to prime though. I just turn it upside down and pump the prime knob.

Last edited:

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have a 2217, 2026, and 2028. I love the 20xx series, but like Nathan said, they don't make them any more. The only thing I don't like about the 2217 is that the media is not contained in baskets, so it is a PITA to clean, but nothing that a couple of colanders from the dollar store didn't fix.

I've never had any issues with reliability or restarts after cleaning. If I were to buy another one, I would go for a version with media baskets just for the ease of cleaning.

Avatar is a big fan and usually is scoping them out on eBay. He may have some good leads for you.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I have 5 classics: a 2211, two 2213s, a 2215, and a 2217. All are great. I have an Ecco 2232, which I like, but not as much. It's easier to prime, but seems to use the space for media less efficiently.

All are very quiet.

I think the newer Classics are quite good, but I've bought all of mine used, so can't be certain if they're as good as the older ones.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Older is better

At least for the larger ones - less stuff to go wrong, like the 2026s & 2028s. These and the 2013/2015/2017 line are what deservedly established the Eheim rep for dependability and long life. I have at least one of each as well as some of the 2227/2229 wet-dry units which are really cool but tend to gurgle a bit (they have breather tubes) which can be mildly distracting. I've bought all of mine used and never replaced anything except for a head gasket. The quick disconnect double-tap feature means you can leave the hoses in place and remove the canister if you feel the need to clean it which is something I do about once a year. The newer models seem to have some issues per the internet, especially those with built-in heaters and digital read-outs that seem to have a tendency to fail. I'd buy an older one on Ebay like a 2026/2028 if it was my money or a 2227/2229 - used they typically go for a third to half the cost of a new one, but the trick is whether they come with media and all the hoses/fittings as they use a lot of media (not cheap) and the stock hoses & fittings are flat-out expensive. Also still the prettiest and perhaps stoutest canister filters ever made.

Have never understood what the issue is with priming a canister filter - I just start a siphon into from the tank through the intake hose and the system fills up all the way back through the outflow line. The double tap connector on the larger Eheim units makes this really easy (read as "unecessary") because each line has a manual shut-off lever which means you can disconnect, drain and refill the canister automatically without literally spilling a drop.

i have a mixed of 2026s 2028s and ecco pros. even though the 20s series is no longer being sold you can always still find them on ebay or craiglist. i picked up a 2028 this past summer for $60 that was still completely sealed in the original box and once i opened that the internal contents of the box were sealed as well in other words completely brand new. i love this canister outstanding performance low maintenance and easy starts to me.....

mchambers

Former CCA member
Agree, sort of

Have never understood what the issue is with priming a canister filter - I just start a siphon into from the tank through the intake hose and the system fills up all the way back through the outflow line. The double tap connector on the larger Eheim units makes this really easy (read as "unecessary") because each line has a manual shut-off lever which means you can disconnect, drain and refill the canister automatically without literally spilling a drop.
I agree that priming should not be hard, but I recently installed the Eheim 2217 I got at the Catfish Convention auction and could not get it to prime for about half an hour. I did the siphon through the intake hose thing, but couldn't get it going. After repeating tries and cursing, it finally started.

That's not much of a complaint, however. It's now running beautifully on my 55 gallon aquarium. I put a cylinder of coarse Poret foam as the bottom layer of filtration, then added a bunch of Seachem matrix, and a bag of Purigen. I also put coarse foam over the intakes. I don't think I'll have to clean it for at least six months and probably longer.

The flow was a bit much, so I had to reconfigure the spray bar, but now all is great.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Vapor lock

At least that's what we called it in old non self-priming fuel injection systems when there was/is air trapped in the lines. I had similar issues a couple times when I first tried to use some of the old Eheim classic-types until I learned the trick of tilting the units when they're filling so the outflow tube is higher to prevent air pockets in the canister head - otherwise the impeller is potentially just spinning in air and the only thing that that pressurizes is one's blood flow.

Really really sweet pick-up on the 2080 by the way - I watched that one go and almost wept it was so cheap even though I have all I need/can use right now - pleased it went to someone in CCA.

yeah that tilting trick is the ACE to the easy way of getting water moving... thanks on the 2028 every one of my eheims i on i have purchased via craig list, ebay or CCA/MFK. i feel very comfortable buying from people on mfk/cca but i have not had any problems on cl or ebay and the filter are always out there for sale....

mscichlid

Founder
The only thing I don't like about the 2217 is that the media is not contained in baskets, so it is a PITA to clean, but nothing that a couple of colanders from the dollar store didn't fix.
QUOTE]

You could put your media in mesh bags for easy rinse.

ezrk

Members
We have two Pro3 2071 (or G6? or something) in any case the second largest Pro3.

Both have had the head unit leak which is a known manufacturing issue on early Pro3s, in both cases Eheim sent us replacement under warranty and they have been fine ever since. I believe this is no longer an issue with new builds. It would make me a bit weary about buying one that was used.

They are very quiet and otherwise reliable. That said I have found they can occasionally be a little frustrating when you clean them to re-prime. In theory they have priming button and that does work most of the time, but it will occasionally fail in which case you have to go to the old-fashioned "close the taps, fill the line and create a siphon" method which is not really very difficult.

Leaving cost out, I would get and recommend the Pro3s, but they are not "perfect." I would also, based on my internet reading, avoid the various electronic versions and built-in heaters.