• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Whats good CA/SA cichlid for 45 gallon tall?

skanda

Members
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some interesting CA/SA cichlid for my 45 gallon tall aquarium. Currently I dont have anything in it but would like to get some interesting cichlids fomr this region. Preferebly fish that do not do not dig much and escavate the tank. What type of substrate can I use? I have Fluval U4 filter which I plan to use in the tank.

THs type if tank is better suited for flat fish such as uaru and severums . But cant think of an interesting CA that would fit here. Would Sunfish (Not cichlids of course) do well here?

Looking forward to some expert advice.

Thanks a bunch!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Angelfish or festivums... or a pair of Cryptoheros and some goodieds...

Uaru and sevs get far too large.

Matt

zackcrack00

Members
Sunfish are actually EXTREMELY aggressive, and can reach a foot long... But I agree with Matt, a pair of angels would be perfect, and maybe a school of medium to large tetras, too.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Agree - sunfish are nasty fish. They are substrate spawners but don't form pair bonds (like many cichlids)...

Matt

chriscoli

Administrator
I actually have my coatapeque a finishing their grow out in my 45 tall. I plan to leave one pair in there eventually. Other fish include a cranky Ctenopoma, some loaches, an angel that will be rehomed soon, and some jewels, also finishing their grow out.

This is one of my favorite tank sizes, btw.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Rainbow cichlids

A pair of rainbow cichlids would do just fine in such at tank.
I've got about 40 fry growing out right now. Let me know if you want some. They're pretty small, so there's no way to tell the gender, but I'd be happy to give you a handful of them.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Not sure if Jon's still got fry of the coatepeque cons but I have half half a dozen different wild-type cons available (choluteca, rio claro, kanna, grenada, nicaragua, rio monga, leucistic HRPs) as well as cutteri, neets, myrnae and others.

My coatepeques were breeding last night...and I pulled some babies from my Rio Cubayo con pair a few days ago.

Rainbows as well ;)

Matt

If I had a tank like that I'd set it up with some cryptoheros coatepeque like JonClarke96 was selling a little while ago. Here is the link to his marketplace ad that had pics of the parents.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
No coatepeques right now. I have some Kanna fry growing out, but they are still a few months away from sellable size.