• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What would you stock a 6FT 125G with?

F8LBITE

Members
Ok so im ready to do something new in my 125G. I have a few ideas of what I wanna do but Im trying to get some input from you guys. Ive narrowed it down to:

1) massive colony of Tropheus with a few gobies, petros, calvus' mixed in.

2) Tank with dwarf pikes and some sort of prolific Central or south americans to provide fry for them to eat as well as fancy plecos and different catfish.

3) I want to avoid feeding live fish but I love Arrows and Datnoids (any alternative to feeding live?)

4) South or Central American community tank? I want to see breeding behavior/color changes. I like Rotkeil Severums alot Geos.

5) I like flowerhorns but they need to be by themselves.

Please make suggestions or recommendations.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
They all could be nice, but I'd be happy to have another tropheus novice buddy to BS with. Large colony of trophs, some petros, and a few gobies would fill the tank up nicely. A tank full of geos and rainbows would be awesome too, but thats a whole nother continent. Figure it out before Julie's get together and you could come back with a tank full of fish. There's always the ACA and ECC auctions as well.

jrpatter

Members
I am stocking a 125 in a couple of weeks, I am putting in young Altums, cardinals, emperor tetras and some cories.

John

fischfan13

Banned
Ok so im ready to do something new in my 125G. I have a few ideas of what I wanna do but Im trying to get some input from you guys. Ive narrowed it down to:

1) massive colony of Tropheus with a few gobies, petros, calvus' mixed in.

2) Tank with dwarf pikes and some sort of prolific Central or south americans to provide fry for them to eat as well as fancy plecos and different catfish.

3) I want to avoid feeding live fish but I love Arrows and Datnoids (any alternative to feeding live?)

4) South or Central American community tank? I want to see breeding behavior/color changes. I like Rotkeil Severums alot Geos.

5) I like flowerhorns but they need to be by themselves.

Please make suggestions or recommendations.

Jose, just a thought...
August is ECC's Group Buy with Dykemyster
September will be an ECC Group Buy to...naaaaaaaaah, can't tell you that one yet but you will love it!!!
November is ECC's Fall Auction.

I like idea #1, but without the Calvus.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
How about large haps and/or peacocks? ;)

I like #1 and #4, though don't have much experience with each. Either would make for quite an impressive display.

emartin

Members
All Male Malawi tank!

Tyrannochromis nigriventer
Exochochromis anagenys
Stigmatochromis modestus
Protomelas sp. 'spilonotus tanzania'
Protomelas spilonotus Mara Rocks
Buccochromis nototaenia or B. spectabilis or B. rhoadesi
Otopharynx lithobates
Copadichromis melas

Aulonocara stuartgranti Chitimba Bay Shallow (Maulana Bi-Color)
Aulonocara sp. 'stuartgranti Marleri' or A. baenschi
Aulonocara sp. lwanda
Aulonocara stuartgranti Ngara or one of the Blue Neon stuartgranti's (Undu, Ungi, Chiwindi, Hai Reef, Mara, etc)

And one male Labidochromis caeruleus.

That should all work. If not then just remove 1-3 of the haps and it should work in a 125g, but otherwise for all males that should work fine.

ORRRRRRRRR

You can set up a Paretroplus nourissati breeding tank! You'll need lots of rocks but it can be done in a tank that size. Imagine a tank full of these:
12112599paratropluslame.jpg

Last edited:

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
pssst, Ed... he's getting rid of his large haps and peacocks to open up this tank ;)

dogofwar

CCA Members
How about a pair of a good-sized new worlds?

I have a 125g with a pair of festaes, orange snooks (Petenia) and a few dither firemouths... Lots of color and action and the pairs each have half the tank...

Matt

emartin

Members
Email Juan and ask what he'd put in the tank! You can find him quite easily on facebook too.

I've already decided that if I ever do new worlds, 'Cichlasoma' salvini is going to be one of them after seeing Juan's photos at the CCA meeting...

YSS

Members
I got dibs on Jose's fish when he sells them. :) As for the ideas, how about paracyps, cyps, sand sifters, and gobies/calvus? That's my next tank.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
OK, alternative one is come on over and I will give you 6 or 7 Altifrons. Get some Tetras that grow to 2+ inches. Get some britle noses. I could also give you a bunch of val to grow that thing into a jungle.

Alternative two would take some imagination on your part. I have some fairly rare Apiso "Pevas Blues" that I have been unable to spawn in the past. These guys come from a few little streams around a Peruvian town called, appropriately enough, Pevas. We have visited often and as far as I know no one has been very successful spawning them. I put then in a 75 with nothing but bristle noses. All this crap is leading up to - get a group, ideally a male or two and three or four females, of Apistos and either some very small corys or britle noses and leave it at that. Lots of the kibitzers will say a waste of tank, but the behavior you will see is astounding. Give Apistos room and they will enchant you. If after a couple months you decide that was the wrong way and you want the beasts suggested elsewhere, Apistos are good food.

Salvinis are one of the most beautiful new world fish. Like most pikes though, no matter how many I stock, I wind up with two. They spawn, he kills her, and the babies get old enough where he gets bored.

George

cmcpart0422

Members
You could do two or three colonies of tropheus which would look awesome with the rocks and sand that you have in there now. You mentioned not wanting to feed live food but i always thought that peacock bass would be a fun adventure. Let us know what you go with.

F8LBITE

Members
How about a pair of a good-sized new worlds?

I have a 125g with a pair of festaes, orange snooks (Petenia) and a few dither firemouths... Lots of color and action and the pairs each have half the tank...

Matt

I like this idea Matt.