• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

what would u put in this tank?

dlfn1

Members
looking for ideas of what i should use this tank for.
the measurements are 14.5" x 9.5" x 17.5"
was thinking maybe i'd try saltwater.

what would u put in it?

littletank2.jpg

Spine

Members
angel fish

I second the motion. Angels with a couple cory's and some small tetras or pencilfish for dithers.

Salt water tanks that small can be a real pain to keep up. Evaporation and just general stability were the two things I had the most trouble with when I had a small marine tank.
You could automate some things to help out with that, but personally I would spend that money on a larger tank instead and have less headache.

Last edited:

Jumbie

Members
Angles would be cool, or maybe some rams or apistos with some plants in there would look really cool. What were you thinking of?

FYI I agree with Kevin that tank is just too small for SW, you will spend more on that tank to maintain than you would on a 90g setup.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I think its way too small for angels. the dimensions make it about a 10g tank.

You might be able to get away with apistos, but that footprint is really not ideal as its a tall tank.

If it were mine, I would do invertebrates or microfish (small tetras, rasboras, or a small rainbow species).

Cartel

Members
If it were mine I'd make it a really nice Betta tank with a couple small tetras of some kind and a super easy plant. Kinda boring to some but I think some of those really fancy bettas are nice.

fischfan13

Banned
I think its way too small for angels. the dimensions make it about a 10g tank.

You might be able to get away with apistos, but that footprint is really not ideal as its a tall tank.

If it were mine, I would do invertebrates or microfish (small tetras, rasboras, or a small rainbow species).

I second this.
I used the Aquatic Calculator on ECC and this tank is 10g.

I would change the color scheme from blue background/gravel to black, do some easy plants, and house a school of these fish -- I have seen them in person and they are spectacular, with lots of movement and color flashing in the tank at all times.

Celestial Pearl Danios / aka Galaxy Rasboras

Celestial-Pearl-Danio2.jpg

From aquaticcommunity.com:

General:
This fish has beautiful colours of a dark blue base colour covered in pearly spots along with bright red/orange fins. These amazing colours will show best against a planted aquarium with good lighting. They are very quick fish! Trying to get pictures of these fish is near enough impossible! They prefer to be kept in shoals of at least six fish to be generally happier and more active. They can be kept in small tanks, as they will not grow over 1inch long. But should not be kept in tanks less than 5 gallons. Celestial Pearl Danios have small stomachs so be careful not to overfeed, they will accept a wide range of foodand should be fed well on small quality foods such as micro pellets and absolutely love treats of live daphnia.

Sexing and Breeding Celestial Pearl Danio:
In a group sexing can be easy, the females will be overall duller coloured with more pale red fins. They will also be a bit fatter; even though these fish are generally ‘chunky’ this can be easily seen when with males. The males with also have orangey stomachs and have black bars on the anal fin unlike the females. These fish can be bred quite easily much alike other cyprinidae species.

dogofwar

CCA Members
A piece of tall driftwood and some plants...and a cave for a pair of apistos or nannacara..

A school of danios for the top...

Matt

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
OK, my $.02. I have heard good ideas related to plants. I would use Val to emphasize that height. Have you ever kept any of the labyrinth fish other than Betas? There are some really nice gouramis out there that would be fun to do in that tank. The dwarfs are just about the right size too. I wouldn’t give them tank-mates unless bubble nest building wouldn’t be interesting to you. Everyone who cares about fish at all should do a bubble nest builder before they die. There just isn’t much cooler in the fish world. Maybe a little Water Sprite to aid in that.

The frenetic little tetras would be OK but boring after awhile. I would want more surface area for Apistos. In any case, stay away from the salt and have fun.

George

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we

Those are terrific. Love to have some myself. The person who wrote the article must be a real ditz. Tells us they like semi-soft and 6.5 and keeps them with Texas Holey rock. Sheer genius!

I love 'em. Just try to find them, as the author states. You find these and they would be great for your tank without all the inverts. Keep the inverts, but in another tank.

George

Rasta Fish

Members
I agree with Tony those are some killer looking fish
Rachel is the lady you want to talk to to fill that tank up, she have Great stuff!! for small setup like that

dlfn1

Members
hey rachel,
i saw those badis a few months back at super petz, i think it was there. very pretty fish. i read a bit about them but there doesn't seem to be much info out there and some is conflicting info. would i keep just one in a tank or can u do pairs, 1m/3f?? do u have females or do u just have males. live plants w/ them? any enlightenment would be great. :)

thanks everyone for the suggestions!!

i do like the galaxy rasboras, pork chop rasboras and pygmy cories. i have a few betta tanks already. one of my bettas built a bubble nest.....i thought he was a she as there are no flowing fins. i was a bit surprised. very cool since i haven't had bubble nest builders before.

--dawn

msjinkzd

invert junkie
Right now I just have a few males left, but I willl be getting more in the next few weeks. They are territorial, but set up very small territories. You can mix males with males or females with males. I have not had much issue with them. Plants are wonderful and welcome int he tank. Its similar, in my experience, to keeping true honey gouramis as they are not particularly agressive.