• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What type of heater do you use.

what types of heaters do you use

• standard glass type heater

Votes: 24 55.8%
  • plastic encased heater

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • under gravel heater

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • titanium heater

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • in line heater

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • the old candle under the tank trick.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • other

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I don't use heaters in the fish room but the other tanks do have them.

which types of heaters do you use.

mrkillie

Members
When I finished my mancave, I had heat installed in the fishroom as well. But I just keep it at about 68-70, then use individual heaters of various types in tanks that house fish that need it a bit warmer, or I want to spawn.

Joel

toddnbecka

Members
Never tried the candle under the tank, but I once ran across a reference to a really old aquarium publication containing an article about "The evils of open-flame aquarium heaters." :eek:

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I used to use the plastic encased heaters but found them very expensive and unreliable. When everything is plugged in on a surge protector strip it is easy not to forget to turn it off prior to draining the tank. Anyhow now I use the normal glass submersible heaters.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I heat the room. Bottom tanks are mid 70s and the top are usually almost 80 in the winter and warmer in the summer. I use a space heater and somewhat customized my ducts to feed more heat into the room. I used to use heaters for my Discus but realized some time ago that healthy Discus do not need it. I have some Ebo Jagers around if I ever want to apply heat but haven't used any in years.

George

mrkillie

Members
Never tried the candle under the tank, but I once ran across a reference to a really old aquarium publication containing an article about "The evils of open-flame aquarium heaters." :eek:

My good friend Dave Franco took a trip to the orient a few years ago and gave a talk at the AKA convention on his trip. He showed pictures of vats of fish being heated by flames under the troughs, I believe in the Philipines. Not much in the electrical infrastructure over there. Water changes were done by taking buckets of water out and carrying fresh water in.

Joel

dogofwar

CCA Members
That discus don't need super hot water was more than proven by Hans's at Aquafest. Big, healthy discus showing well in probably 70 degree water (or less)...

Matt

I heat the room. Bottom tanks are mid 70s and the top are usually almost 80 in the winter and warmer in the summer. I use a space heater and somewhat customized my ducts to feed more heat into the room. I used to use heaters for my Discus but realized some time ago that healthy Discus do not need it. I have some Ebo Jagers around if I ever want to apply heat but haven't used any in years.

George

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
If I ever finish my fishroom I plan on using a space heater. I've been using ebo's for years and love em. The space heater will be really nice tho if I can find one that's efficient.

mscichlid

Founder
I prefer the plastic encased Stealth heater because it blends in and shuts off when the water is low. I don't have to unplug them during water changes; ergo not having to remember to plug 'em back up.

plecocrazy

Members
I have been using plastic encased stealth heaters and have been very unhappy. The old visitherm work much better but still aren't what they used to be. I'm just finishing my fish room so it's going to be heated and planning on replacing my marineland collection with ebo's on the tanks that need extra heat.

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
I got tired of digging through a box of old heaters to find one that has a t-stat that works so I recently replaced most of mine with the Fluval heaters with the temp display.