• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What To Add?

tgrogan

Members
I need some advice on what to add to the tap water here in Idaho to bring up the pH.

One great thing for Aficans is that my tap water has a GH and KH of 8 dGH/dKH respectively. The pH is 7.6 which is pretty close, but I am a nerd when comes to the fish so I would prefer a pH of 8.0 or so.

Now, the interesting thing is that I have been doing water changes with RO water from Wal-Mart and then adding SeaChem buffer and salt. When I test the new water I get the same results for GH and KH. So why the pH different?

I remember Bob's talk early this year about water chemistry but it has been a long time. If memory serves, adding 'buffer' will only bring the pH up to a point and then you're just making the water thicker.

So do I need to maybe add a little more Cichlid 'salt', or will that just change the hardness?

maddog10

Members
I used Seachem Malawi Buffer to raise and maintain my pH at 8.2
It works you just have to get the mixture right to keep it stable.
Having the pH at 7.6 will probably work for most Malawi fish when you get tired of adding buffer.

longstocking

Members
Just add baking soda till you hit 8.2 ... it will increase your kh a tad too though. Though, tangs like a higher kh ... so shouldn't be an issue.

If you are keeping malawi I would keep it where it's at.

i used homemade buffering...

baking soda, epsom salt, and sea salt without the iodine or any baking agents...is the by far cheapest solution...best way to buffer pH though, is having some crush corals in your filter media