• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What stung me?

MonteSS

Members
Was cleaning my tank and WOW, what a pain I got. Like a bad wasp sting. No marks, swelling, or redness. Only intense pain in my finger. As I type now an hour later it is still throbbong and very painful.

In the tank are a pair of Apistos, some neons, three cory cats and a little Akysis cat. I assume it was a cat but this is crazy. Do they inject something?

Thanks...Bill

MonteSS

Members
There is no heater in the tank. Definitely stung.

To be honest, it was one of the most painful things I have ever felt in my life. It was that bad or I wouldnt even mention it.

I put my finger in ice water and it got worse. After about 3 hours, it finally started to subside enough where I could fall asleep. Still sore this morning and still no physical sign of anything.

The cories are Habrosus pygmys.

Weird.....Bill

Last edited:

Spine

Members
I've gotten zapped by some of our native catfish while fishing on the Potomac.It put a pretty good hurting on me,lol for several hours.

I have also had a little sliver of glass get me one time. Sometimes stuff ( broken heater glass,wood splinters etc.)gets mixed in the gravel that can poke you.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
When I was keeping my reef tank, I used to have random crap ding me from time to time.... another reason not to keep saltwater, lol.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I've gotten zapped by some of our native catfish while fishing on the Potomac.It put a pretty good hurting on me,lol for several hours.

I have also had a little sliver of glass get me one time. Sometimes stuff ( broken heater glass,wood splinters etc.)gets mixed in the gravel that can poke you.
UMMM KEVIN THAT WASNT THE CATFISH. IT WAS PROBABLY TOXIC GARBAGE BITING YOU.:D POTOMAC =TOXIC DUMP SAD TO SAY.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Most catfish that stab you are also slightly toxic. You should be past it now but if it happens again, hot water, not cold will help. Just like stingray toxins, most of the cat's toxins are nuetralized by heat.

George