• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What Species Are These?

halak

Members
I caught these fishes in Guyana but have not been able to identify them. No, I did not bring them back.

DSCN3507.jpg

DSCN3527.jpg

Blu

Members
Looks like young tilapia, bottom looks a bit like a rainbow without the coloring... Where were these taken from?

Blu

Members
Oh, sorry I didn't see your loci post. They could be Silver Arowana, though I'm not 100% (the tilapia post was a joke)

halak

Members
I found these in Guyana, near New Amsterdam, a few kms from Canefield Settlement. The place looked like this (not blackwater):

DSCN3535.JPG

Blu

Members
Oh the land of the -rather large- Arapaimas! How fun was your trip!? And I do think that those are Silvers, they fit the bill with loci, size/color. Nice you were able to fish as the gov't has been not granting permits for fishing as of late I hear.

halak

Members
My trip was very fun. If you know some locals, good things will happen. I always fished with locals, and we always threw the fish back. I don't know what the government regulations are, but usually we had a local lawyer with us...

The top one certainly looks like a Centropomid (a type of snook) but the dorsal fin is connected which would not be correct for the family. I think it is a type of drum (there is a local freshwater variety called a Basha).

The bottom one is a Pimelodellid catfish like Matt said.

Andy

halak

Members
Yes - a drum :)

Viktor - tell the story of why you're down there, por favvor...

Matt

Come to this month's GWAPA meeting where I will be one of the presenters. In a nutshell, however, a good friend of mine knew somebody down there, so we went to look at fish and to experience an exciting tropical country where not many tourists go.